• Register Today It's free!

Appraise my car?

ckmontesano

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer LTS 4.6L V8
Hey all, may be looking to get a new car to commute to school and I wanted to get your input as to how much you'd think this car would be worth. Feel free to let me know if this is not the right place!

2003 Ford Explorer
Color: White
Engine: 4.6L V8

Description: I bought this car about three years ago completely stock and have taken great care of it. It handles amazingly off-road and in general, has treated us very well in the time we've had it. With all of the fixes/upgrades done it drives and feels like a brand new car. Nothing is wrong with it, just looking to get a sedan for daily commute.

Miles: 168,x..
Daily Driver so miles will go up with time. This car gets a surprising 20 MPG average.

Upgrades:
- 3 inch lift (strut spacers) with 32.5 inch all-terrain tires (80% tread)
- Aftermarket Heated Seats in the front
- Aftermarket Sound System (details below)
- LED Light Bar
- Aftermarket LED HALO Headlights
- Custom switch panel for light bar and two heated seats

Here's what's been fixed/replaced thus far:
- Transmission rebuilt 3k miles ago
- AC system completely replaced 12k miles ago; blows ice cold
- Alternator replaced a year ago
- Fan Clutch replaced a year ago
- Heater Valve replaced two weeks ago
- Upper and Lower Control Arms, Struts replaced a year ago
- Front left and rear right window regulators repaced, front right regulator to be replaced before selling
- Tie rods on right side will be replaced before selling

Sound system:
- Pioneer DEH-S6010BS Stereo
- Kenwood speakers
- BOSS 12" 800W (each) Dual Subwoofers

Pics:
2003 Ford Explorer Pics - Google Drive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After viewing the photos you gave I can tell the exterior and interior are both in excellent shape, and v8 examples are beginning to appreciate ever so slightly in value due to enthusiast appeal and proven longevity. Everything said and done I would list $8500 and accept no less than $7500.

Here’s the problem, you’ve limited your audience to enthusiasts only. I would say all your upgrades are might make it appeal to that crowd more, but wouldn’t really add to it’s value.

I’d put it at $5k. Considering that an ‘03 Stock with said miles goes for $2,500-$4k in Georgia.

Didn’t see where you were located.
Just my $0.02. Try for $7,500, but may take some time.

Here’s the problem, you’ve limited your audience to enthusiasts only. I would say all your upgrades are might make it appeal to that crowd more, but wouldn’t really add to it’s value.

I’d put it at $5k. Considering that an ‘03 Stock with said miles goes for $2,500-$4k in Georgia.

Didn’t see where you were located.
Just my $0.02. Try for $7,500, but may take some time.
I appraised high for multiple reasons. Enthusiasts will undoubtedly pay that kind of money for an explorer as well-modded as this one, and the fact that it’s getting more and more difficult to find interiors that aren’t torn apart with cracking plastics and broken electronics. Nationwide I’ve seen quite large price differences between family beater examples and well-maintained ones. Start a little high so potential buyer negotiations will land right on your target price

i would say the biggest thing going to hold you back on the price you want is the fact that these explorers are a dime a dozen out there. granted they will not have the added touches yours does but unless you really find someone who is into this gen explorer i wouldnt expect to get more than what the person before said at 5k. the miles are going to be a real turn off to someone. Also have to factor in that someone could easily get a stock one with less miles for around 2k-4k. now a days everyone just wants jeeps. like where i live i am the only one in the area with a lifted vehicle that isnt a jeep or a truck.

Another thing is that alot of the repairs were just repairs needing done due to age. thats not going to make much difference to your typical buyers.

i only comment because mine is pretty modified and been taken care of through the years and the last person who came to me with interest baulked at 5k price tag i threw out at them (im not really selling mine but i get people stop and ask from time to time if i will lol)

i would say the biggest thing going to hold you back on the price you want is the fact that these explorers are a dime a dozen out there. granted they will not have the added touches yours does but unless you really find someone who is into this gen explorer i wouldnt expect to get more than what the person before said at 5k. the miles are going to be a real turn off to someone. Also have to factor in that someone could easily get a stock one with less miles for around 2k-4k. now a days everyone just wants jeeps. like where i live i am the only one in the area with a lifted vehicle that isnt a jeep or a truck.

Another thing is that alot of the repairs were just repairs needing done due to age. thats not going to make much difference to your typical buyers.

i only comment because mine is pretty modified and been taken care of through the years and the last person who came to me with interest baulked at 5k price tag i threw out at them (im not really selling mine but i get people stop and ask from time to time if i will lol)
Like I said before, the pristine condition of the interior is another huge selling point. A lot of the "dime-a-dozen" Explorers have torn seats, cracking trim, carpet stains, headliner sagging and stains, missing courtesy light housings, non-operating electronics and typical old age stuff. I've seen well kept examples fetch 6k, 7k, and even 10k in some cases.

Like I said before, the pristine condition of the interior is another huge selling point. A lot of the "dime-a-dozen" Explorers have torn seats, cracking trim, carpet stains, headliner sagging and stains, missing courtesy light housings, non-operating electronics and typical old age stuff. I've seen well kept examples fetch 6k, 7k, and even 10k in some cases.
My friend got one an 04 really mint no tears in the seats 90,000 miles 4.6 for $3500. Around me at least the best kept examples are 3-5 maybe 6 grand I’d say 6 grand pretty steep for these.

i will give you that the interior looks clean which helps. but it has high miles and what looks like damage to the front passanger bumper area where the fog light is as well as multiple holes from license plates on the front of the bumper. yes it has some aftermarket touches but not anything that is pushing the value up that high. Cant see getting more than 3.5k at most 4k but i wish you the best and hope you get what you want for it.

What you have to put into consideration is can you find one in equal or better condition with less miles and my guess would be yes its possible.

My friend got one an 04 really mint no tears in the seats 90,000 miles 4.6 for $3500. Around me at least the best kept examples are 3-5 maybe 6 grand I’d say 6 grand pretty steep for these.
Good to know. Here in florida the junkers are cheap but good shape body on frame SUV’s and trucks go for pretty damn high, so that’s the experience I’m going off of

Southern cars can still fetch good money if taken North.

I looked it up on KBB and fair market private party sales for one in excellent condition was $4500. Those mods will not increase the value more than a few hundred, and that's only because someone might be more inclined to purchase it for his son as a first car. The maintenance would sell it for me if I was looking for one, but at no more that market price.

The problem is that when an old vehicle, that isn't a highly desirable model is priced high, it is hard to finance. At $7.5k you are fighting to find a person that is willing to pay the higher price but that person will also need a wad of cash to buy it. Also, one typically gets 50% back on the cost of modifications they made. I think $5k-$6k is tops for this one. This said, I would test the waters for the higher price.

My 1994 Explorer has over $25K in mods and thousands of hours in labor to make it a better off road trail rig and I bet I would not be able to get more than $6-7K on a good day if I sold it. The modified older SUV market just isn't there.

Back