• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

April EF Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarpeNoctem

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT 202A
I washed dishes, bussed tables and mopped floors (at $1.65/hour minimum wage) to earn the $70 to buy my first car - a 1963 Ford Fairlane station wagon. I was 18 and it was my freedom machine. I bought oil by the gallon ‘cos it burned it so fast, you could see the roadway through the rusted out floorboards, I put heavy cardboard on the seats so you didn’t get poked by the springs and the passenger window was another piece of cardboard. My friend’s brave father drove with me to California DMV so I could get a drivers license. The DMV tester signed off without me doing a driving test because he was afraid to ride in my car! One month later (with a new battery, two recaps, plus one speeding ticket - it would actually go 80 mph) I sold it for $70 and went off to the Navy (and ended up buying my Norton Commando motorcycle which I still have).
[Not for consideration]

lol. I had a car like that. A Datsun B610.

Fill it up with oil and check the gas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Old picture of my 1971 Mercury Cougar when I got it ( 1978) , parked in our driveway in Garden City, KS

img118.jpg

Mike65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
In my garage working on one of our vehicles.
City, State
Toms River, NJ / Horsepasture, Virginia.
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ranger 4x4, 99 Sport.

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Congrats @Exploring XLT!!

And @CarpeNoctem, those days of cheap and "legal" oil burners are gone for good, at least in this country. :)

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
@Turdle I really liked those old Cougars. I knew a guy back in early 70's (in the Navy where we all had money to burn...) who had a 67 with V8 and stick. If I could go back in time, I'd buy all those V8 cars that I got to drive those years, including the Shelby Mustang with dual quads - almost a religious experience driving that one! And I could have bought that Mustang for $2000, I still cry in my beer over that one.

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
I washed dishes, bussed tables and mopped floors (at $1.65/hour minimum wage) to earn the $70 to buy my first car - a 1963 Ford Fairlane station wagon. I was 18 and it was my freedom machine. I bought oil by the gallon ‘cos it burned it so fast, you could see the roadway through the rusted out floorboards, I put heavy cardboard on the seats so you didn’t get poked by the springs and the passenger window was another piece of cardboard. My friend’s brave father drove with me to California DMV so I could get a drivers license. The DMV tester signed off without me doing a driving test because he was afraid to ride in my car! One month later (with a new battery, two recaps, plus one speeding ticket - it would actually go 80 mph) I sold it for $70 and went off to the Navy (and ended up buying my Norton Commando motorcycle which I still have).
[Not for consideration]

I have a 62 Fairlane 500 with the V8. I love that car and almost had a chance on a 63 wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.