April EF Lottery | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

April EF Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I washed dishes, bussed tables and mopped floors (at $1.65/hour minimum wage) to earn the $70 to buy my first car - a 1963 Ford Fairlane station wagon. I was 18 and it was my freedom machine. I bought oil by the gallon ‘cos it burned it so fast, you could see the roadway through the rusted out floorboards, I put heavy cardboard on the seats so you didn’t get poked by the springs and the passenger window was another piece of cardboard. My friend’s brave father drove with me to California DMV so I could get a drivers license. The DMV tester signed off without me doing a driving test because he was afraid to ride in my car! One month later (with a new battery, two recaps, plus one speeding ticket - it would actually go 80 mph) I sold it for $70 and went off to the Navy (and ended up buying my Norton Commando motorcycle which I still have).
[Not for consideration]

lol. I had a car like that. A Datsun B610.

Fill it up with oil and check the gas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old picture of my 1971 Mercury Cougar when I got it ( 1978) , parked in our driveway in Garden City, KS

img118.jpg

Congratulations:chug:

Congrats @Exploring XLT!!

And @CarpeNoctem, those days of cheap and "legal" oil burners are gone for good, at least in this country. :)

@Turdle I really liked those old Cougars. I knew a guy back in early 70's (in the Navy where we all had money to burn...) who had a 67 with V8 and stick. If I could go back in time, I'd buy all those V8 cars that I got to drive those years, including the Shelby Mustang with dual quads - almost a religious experience driving that one! And I could have bought that Mustang for $2000, I still cry in my beer over that one.

I washed dishes, bussed tables and mopped floors (at $1.65/hour minimum wage) to earn the $70 to buy my first car - a 1963 Ford Fairlane station wagon. I was 18 and it was my freedom machine. I bought oil by the gallon ‘cos it burned it so fast, you could see the roadway through the rusted out floorboards, I put heavy cardboard on the seats so you didn’t get poked by the springs and the passenger window was another piece of cardboard. My friend’s brave father drove with me to California DMV so I could get a drivers license. The DMV tester signed off without me doing a driving test because he was afraid to ride in my car! One month later (with a new battery, two recaps, plus one speeding ticket - it would actually go 80 mph) I sold it for $70 and went off to the Navy (and ended up buying my Norton Commando motorcycle which I still have).
[Not for consideration]

I have a 62 Fairlane 500 with the V8. I love that car and almost had a chance on a 63 wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back