Apten Chip Install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Apten Chip Install

Originally posted by nak4af
It appears there is confusion in determining fuel mileage.
The best way I have found to determine this is as follows;
(1) Fill up your truck until the pump cuts off,
(2) record your mileage and start driving around town
(drive normal and dont "dog it"),
(3)after 1/4 to 1/2 a tank (it doesn't matter how far you
drive, it will still be the same math), fill up at the
same station and pump as before,
(4) record the # of gallons it took to fill up,
(5) divide the miles driven by the gallons you pumped.

This will be your mileage. You can do this a few time and average them to get a good determination of your mpg. Repeat the process for highway mileage! I did this and got 16.1 mpg city on my X.

Gee, been doing it like that longer than you have been alive. But thanks anyway.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive

Just trying to make it easy on some people. I thought that's what this message board was designed for, Helping people!

Every post on this tread was showing poeple estimating from the mileage they got from an entire tank. That takes a long time and plus it's not very accurate. If you've done it that way since before I was born...why didn't you tell everyone!

Now, exactly how old are you?

Last edited:

come on now he lives in flordia and eats dinner a 3pm and goes to bed at 5pm and wakes up at 6am.

and tells kids "when i was your age...."

I'm finally running the Apten in my '96 4.0L OHV and on premium gas. It's worth the upgrade until Saddam torches the fields and gas goes to $5/gal, then I'll be hitchhiking. heh
It's pretty strong on takeoff and in passing on the highway, and it feels good throughout the range. I haven't had a lot of experience yet with monitoring MPG and speed as we've had a lot of precip lately and I've been in and out of 4WD, and not gassing it on the slippery roads obviously.
I get my 31s this weekend during my vehicle inspection. :D Hopefully, this is all the mods for a couple months to let my wallet recover. :rolleyes:
Happy wheelin and stay safe.

My chip

I got an apten chip also, and have had it in for a couple of months now.

Better milage, better power Im happy.

I cant do the math for the MPG calculations, but I am getting about 20 -25 more miles per tank indicated, and my speedo is off by about 10% I think so add another 2-3 miles. I drive it around town only. Im happy - but I dont pay much attention to my MPG- but its noticable.

Power is up and the chip seems to have brought all my mods together. I have the small comp cams cam, headers, Tb,MAS, exhaust as mods and the chip seems to have brought it all together. I used to have a rich condition (cat smell after a full throttle run) which seems to have disappeared, power is up throughout the range. I havent dynoed or anything, but I drive the same hilly roads over and over, and where the trans used to downshift, or the TC unlock neither happens now with no loss of speed.
I do need to tune my trans shift points (vacuum mod) to adjust the shift points up a bit. It seems to rev a bit quicker and I think a shift 3-400 higher under Full throttle will help with highway on ramps/ passing etc.

Good product thanks brian.

Good Luck everyone.

Aldive...

I've been following your 'quest for 30' and I'd like to take advantage of the results you've achieved. What, in your opinion, are the three most important (adding most mileage) mods you made for mileage? And, if you have the time or patience, what are all of the mods you made that affected mileage? Thanks

I have done a lot of things to increase mileage, some are listed below:

Lowered the truck
Front air dam
Removed roof rack
Run 40 psig in the tires
0w30 synthetic oil
Synthetic ATF
Synthetic rear oil
Granatelli MAF
TB spacer
Jacobs spark plug wires
Apten chip – tuned for mileage
Keep mulri coats of Zaino on truck at all times

After all is said and done, driving technique is a major factor. Speed kills; keep it below 70 MPH.

Future mods for mileage:

Electric cooling fan
Apten dual program chip with one program more radical in fuel economy
5w20 synthetic oil

Originally posted by aldive
5w20 synthetic oil

Howcome the change from the 0W30? Because the 20 flows more freely on the hot side?

Ry.

Easier flow, should increase mileage.

>>AMSOIL XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oils enhance fuel economy and powerful performance. Their low coefficients of friction ensure the maximum delivery of engine power with minimal frictional losses<<

switching to the Apten !

I decided to switch from a superchip to the Apten chip.
Brian said the programming used is more of a custom one for each of our trucks and I liked that.
should be here early this upcoming week !!

has anyone else switched from a superchip to the Apten ?

I'll try to sell my Superchip on E-bay code {CDE1}.

I can't relay MPG stats as I need to:
a) leave earlier for work
b) leave earlier for extracurricular activies
c) take off more moderately from stops

As a result, it's probably helped but someday I'll have time to drive normally and enjoy better gas mileage. :D

I do have a semi-detailed install of the chip on my website for those that haven't done it/are hesistant.

My Mounty Gets 13 MPG. Half HWY, Half City. Hopefully my new Filtercharger will help some, but I don't think I put my foot that deep. How are you guys' 5.0 AWD's?

I don't get it

Why don't your suggestions work for my 4.0 SOHC? I spent a whole week resisting the urge to take off like i normally do and do 80 instead of 65-68 on the freeway, and I got 15.5 mpg on that tank... the next week, I switched back to normal, taking off from stops (not flooring, but not grandma style) and doin 75+ on freeway, and I got 16.1 mpg... this is dead winter, single digits as a high, so I know that doesn't help, but shouldn't better driving habits make a diff too? not make mileage worse? the only thing i can think of is that it might take a few tanks of driving 'smart' for the computer to make adjustments... does that make sense or sound right? someone please help me, im runnin out of $$$ for all this gas!

It does take a little bit for the computer to relearn the new settings.

This is from what i have read in other posts. Give a few weeks

MPG

I had a chance to drive ~6hrs straight and got 16.6 on one tank. That was fairly good considering I did do ~80+ at times.
Gotta love this last snow storm... finally a real one here! Time to update my pic with the new 31s... they did do nicely one morning on an unplowed road on the way home and are restoring my faith in the AT KOs.
Be safe and happy 4wheeling.

Back