Reaction score
City, State
Ocean View, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Apten Chip installed**Updated**

But were in the middle of a winter mix, rain, sleet, snow!:mad:

I guess, I'll just have to wait till morning. :(

I have about a 1/4 tank of regular gas to burn first. So it will have to wait till morning anyway.

Damn, im like a kid with a new toy, but cant play with it cause theres no batteries! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok the Chip is in and I just got back from a short drive(about 5 miles)

To be honest, I couldnt feel any dif. :( Well, I did feel a small dif in the tranny shifting. Overdrive seemed to be a bit smoother.

I didnt notice any more HP, my truck feels just a slugish as before. I was really hoping the Apten chip would give me a little more HP?!

Anyway, I realize I only went for a short drive. So maybe the computer needs to learn the chip?

I'll give it a few more days I guess...

Yep - took me until about the end of my second tank of 91 for me to really feel the chip. Now, OMG - my truck will glue you to the back of your seat if I floor it. You have some old 87 in your tank, it needs to mix and then burn away but give it time, you'll completely notice a difference.

And congrats!

Ry.

I felt the effect of the chip immediately after the install.

Stupid question:

Did you reset the computer when you installed the chip? Even if you did it is possible you didn't let it idle for long enough afterwards.

the learn time will vary based on what engine and computer you have. Some take a little longer learning time before you get the full effect.

Don, I'll look the file over in a little bit and make sure everything is as it should be. I'll e-mail you a little later.

Brian

Originally posted by bjherron
the learn time will vary based on what engine and computer you have. Some take a little longer learning time before you get the full effect.

Don, I'll look the file over in a little bit and make sure everything is as it should be. I'll e-mail you a little later.

Brian

That my friends is CUSTOMER SERVICE.......

Yeah, I had about 1/4 tank of regular gas left. I filled it up with super before I installed the chip.

I let the engine run for about 15 min, before I went for the test drive.

Im guessing, I just need to let the computer relearn?

Brian thanks

Originally posted by Alec
Stupid question:

Did you reset the computer when you installed the chip? Even if you did it is possible you didn't let it idle for long enough afterwards.

Yes, the negative terminal was taken off the battery before I installed the CHip. Then connected again, when I was done.

Don, another stupid question:
I am assuming you have cleaned the MAF recently and have clean fuel system parts?
-----Nate

Originally posted by nweibley
Don, another stupid question:
I am assuming you have cleaned the MAF recently and have clean fuel system parts?
-----Nate

MAF is new, and back in the summer I had a local shop clean the fuel system. They used a machine, not sure what it's called. In ran cleaner threw the engine some how...

A little update guys.

This morning while getting ready to leave work, I walked out to start my X. It wouldnt turn on the first crank. I turned it about 5 times, then realizing the battery must be dead? So I jump out to catch a co worker before he left, to see if he could give me a jump. He didnt have cables, so I got back in and gave it one more try. It turned over no problem!

This is very weird I thought. My X all ways turns over on the first crank, Allways! Even when the temps were very close to zero degrees last week.

Anyway, I headed to my parents house. They are closer to my work, then my house. I feared I might have more problems and didnt want to chance going home.

Pulled some sockets out and made sure the neg terminal was plenty tight, it was. Hung out for about an hour and drove home, which is about 20 miles. Got home turned the truck off and went in for about 10 min. Came back out and started the truck up again and then pulled out my drive way. I stomped on the gas like I usually do, I nearly lost control of the truck because for some stange reason the chip seemed to be working:) Wow what a difference! I only drove a couple miles. But i did feel the power had increased.

Im guessing it just needed a little time? Going on a road trip later tonight, nothing lengthy, but it will do.

Report back later

I really hope the Chip kicked in!??

Sorry for the crappy post, im half asleep. Time to go to bed...:D

Don

I know when mine doesn't start on the first try it's because I turned the key too fast and there wasn't enough fuel pressure in the system to start. I back off, let the fuel system pressurize, then start it.

Hey Alec, I'll remember that.

Ive had the truck for three years now, not one have I had that problem. Kinda got me upset.

Hope it's what you speak of and nothing major?

I forgot to mention, make sure the computer connection is cleaned real good, and on both sides. If you don't see copper on both sides it's not clean enough.

a poor connecting surface could cause a no-start problem.

Brian

Brian, this morning I took the chip back out to clean the one side a little better. It's very hard to clean this side, I cant apply much pressure inorder to remove the sliver metal.

I could only remove about 40% of the sliver. I spent about 10min this morning doing this again, I wasnt getting anywhere.

I'll see how things go in the next few days, if the truck still has problems starting...I'll take the chip out and try to clean it again.

Thanks Brian

DonM

I know it would be tough, but you could leave the chip out a few days and see if you still have starting difficultires.

Good luck,,,,,,

Aldive, actually it was just one time. Right when i was going to leave work. I'll see what happens in the next few days...

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if it does happen again, the bottom panel pops off your computer. That will allow you to really clean those bottom connections. It's very hard to get them without removing it.

Brian

Back