• Register Today It's free!

Apten Chip question

bmonahan

Reaction score
City, State
Marysville, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I purchased an Apten chip from a member. It is a one program chip. I pulled the negative cable off my battery and installed the chip. Then I took the truck ('94 XLT) for a spin. At first I thought I could notice a difference but I wasn't sure or not if I could detect a performance difference or not. I drove the truck for 20 minutes. The next morning the truck would not start until I removed the chip. Later that night I made a second pass at cleaning and sanding the contact points where the chip plugs in. I then plugged the chip back in and hooked up the battery and took it for a spin. I really can't tell that there is a performance gain or not.

How can I tell if the chip is working or not? How long does it take for the computer to adjust to the new chip? I have not put 93 octane in the tank yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all, is the chip for your computer code? That stuck out in my head first, and also, you should feel a slight difference with using other octanes, but you will notice the true difference with the 93 octane. If that chip isn't burned for your computer code, you need to get it reburned through Apten for $40/50, somewhere in that range.

Yes, I sent the chip in to Brian and had it burned with my EEC code.

Which octane is it suppose to use? Is it a Delta that can be used on and off?

Not a good idea BUT, go hit try and hit the governer, isnt it like 115 for explorers? I dont know, but thats how i would check....

As far as I know it is a one program chip and has been burned for performance...93 octane. Sounds like I need to go fill up with 93 and the see how it drives?

oh so you havent tried what the chip is programmed for?

I have 1/4 tank of regular unleaded gas, so I was hoping to empty the tank before I put in 93 octane. I thought I would see a peformance gain right away, but guess I will wait until I fill up with 93 octane gas. I had read that you would see a performance gain even running 87 octane.

If its an Apten chip, , you should notice stiffer shifting habits with WOT, the chips are programmed to change th shift points, just make them alittle stiffer...

EDIT: thats if you dont wanna do the limiter thing :nono:

depending on if the truck has a electronic transmission.

FoMoCoEdge said:
If its an Apten chip, , you should notice stiffer shifting habits with WOT, the chips are programmed to change th shift points, just make them alittle stiffer...

EDIT: thats if you dont wanna do the limiter thing :nono:

Not the 91-94's.

I filled up the tank this morning with 92 octane and went in to work...35 miles. I can feel a tiny bit of performance gain but not as much as I was hoping for...and I wasn't expecting it to feel like I had a V8 in it all of a sudden ;)

My experience with Apten has been night and day difference.

Hmmm, that is why I am asking the question of how do I know it is working...I have read all the threads and I thought I would notice a big performance improvement gain. It is a '94 so I know the transmission shift points would not change.

What is the general state of tune of your truck?

My bad , didnt know

<---Drives a Ranger

I just recently acquired it from my father in law.....I have put in new plugs, plug wires, EGR, DPFE, EGR solenoid, KKM intake, and new exhaust.

Back