Apten Flasher program(s) install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Apten Flasher program(s) install

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have loved my Apten chip since I first installed it ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62783&highlight=apten+chip+install ), however, with the current lofty price of gas it is time for a change, I need an 87 as well as want a 92 octane program.

I pondered going with a multi program chip or with the new Flasher. After discussions with Gene Fine at Apten ( http://www.apten-us.com/ ) I decided to go with a custom programmed dual program Flasher. Gene is a very nice and knowledgeable guy, much like Brian was. I can still only say positive things about this company.

I ordered an 87 octane program that will exploit gas mileage with my current mods using 87 gas and a 92 octane program that is similar to what I have/had now that gets 30 MPG on the road. The programs were “created†based on my input as to the modifications I have made and my goals.

The Flasher arrived in 6 days ( including a weekend ) after the order was placed. The price of the dual program flasher was $410.00 delivered to my door. Along with the Flasher a connection cable as well as instructions were packed in the box.

The Flasher can only be used for one truck; one can’t use it to program a “friend’s†truck. You provide your ECC computer’s code to Apten at the time of order. Like a chip, Apten can reprogram the Flasher for another vehicle if you sell your truck or the Flasher.

I actually removed the “old†Apten chip from the ECC ( see http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=966993#post966993 ) in reverse of the install outlined at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62783&highlight=apten+chip+install last week and sold the old chip to rydinhigh. It sure sucks driving w/o a chip.

A few preparatory steps are required prior to installing a program from the Flasher. First, all power consuming devices must be turned off, and then the fuel pump relay 20 A fuse ( in the under hood fuse/relay box # 9 ) has to be removed. Next, with the ignition “offâ€, the Flasher is plugged into the OBD port under the steering column ( same port that is used with an OBD II scan tool ), The downloading of the stock program as well as the uploading of either “custom†program is performed by following instructions on the Flasher.

It takes about 15 minutes to program the ECC.

Time to fire it up. Hold breath, turn the key and “we have ignitionâ€. All is well.

Now its time for a test ride. Initial impressions of the 92 octane program ( I couldn’t resist, plus I had 92 gas in the tank ) are great, the acceleration is crisp as are the shifts. Life is good again…..

The only negative thing I can think of about the procedure is the rather poorly written instructions, but this is of no consequence since the programming is menu driven.

Next week I shall be doing a test of gas mileage with each of the (3) programs. I have to make a run over to Ft Lauderdale and will drive approximately 100 miles on one program, then refill the truck and do another 100 and so on. We shall see some results then.

Attachments

• flasher.jpg
    flasher.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 459
  • flasherhookup.gif
    flasherhookup.gif
    46.8 KB · Views: 428

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would you say this greatly improves the 'mushy' shifting of the automatic? It never has shifted quick enough for me. I am seriously considering an Apten chip, so any input is appreciated.

What!
How did you get yours so fast?
I am still waiting for my flasher ordered back in April!

dreamr said:
What!

I got friends in low places......

dvanburen said:
Would you say this greatly improves the 'mushy' shifting of the automatic? It never has shifted quick enough for me. I am seriously considering an Apten chip, so any input is appreciated.

I find the tranny shifts vastly improved.

dreamr said:
What!
Someone needs to get on the phone with Gene and give him call and find out what's up....
It doesn't take that long to get one

aldive said:
I find the tranny shifts vastly improved.

Thanks, I'll have to invest in one as soon as I get the suspension straightened out! Now if I could only find out why I can't post in the sway bar group buy thread...

BBQ_HotDogs said:
Someone needs to get on the phone with Gene and give him call and find out what's up....
It doesn't take that long to get one

Two e-mails and a phone call later I am thinking that you are right, and I should call back again.

Call and ask for Gene.

Good luck.....

I just got off the phone, and apparently I once again got lost in the shuffle. It is supposedly sitting on the shipping dock and will hit UPS today. I hope this true this time, as that's what I heard last week to.

You guys and gals that do not have a chip or flasher yet and are considering getting one from Apten, should talk to yob keynom (monkey boy backwards)LOL, the moderator of the group buy forum and get a "group buy" going for these. Saves allot of money if you do it right. Plus it makes it easier for Apten because then they will have some sort of idea how many Ford chips and flashers they need to get. In the long run everyone saves big bucks.

I know that i can't get a flasher because i drive a first gen, but what is the advantage of using the flasher over the chip?

OK some pros and cons of chips vs flashers;

Advantages of a flasher;
1) No install
2) Can't be detected by Ford if you have a warranty issue.

Disavantages of a flasher;
1) No flying switches for programs. You probably won't carry it with you all the time so you can't make the flying switch from 87 Octane to 93 Octane or visa versa.

There is somethinginthe works, shoulf be available in about a month, for the Flasher.

User adjustable features such as:
adjustable rev limiter
adjustable speed limiter
shift points
shift firmness
gear ratio - speedometer correction
tire size

Stay tuned; these features will make the Flasher even more valuable.

Fir those of us who already own a Flasher, fear not, it may be returned for a firmware upgrade.

these features will make the Flasher even more valuable.
And probably even more $$$?

sounds really good. too bad i can't use one :(

Aldive,
compare your old chip performace
with the new set up.
About the same or noticable differance.

MONMIX said:
Aldive,
compare your old chip performace
with the new set up.
About the same or noticable differance.

Only in town driving with the new set up, performance version, so I have no mileage data. Seat of the britches impressions.... appears to accelerate quicker and I do indeed feel the shifts are firmer.

so by performance standards alone, the flasher is more impressive than your former chip,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MONMIX said:
so by performance standards alone, the flasher is more impressive than your former chip,

I do not think that it is a Flasher vs chip issue.

The new chips, as well as the flasher are based on Superchip research for the hardware and Apten programing.

Its just that the new technology is better.

Back