apten Q | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

apten Q

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
what is involved when you put an apten chip in your x? do you then have to use a certain type of gas, like premium, and what else does it improve and/or change from just stock? also,once it is installed, is there anything manually that i will have to do to it to change settings or something like that? i'm in the dark with chips, so any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get it programmed for any fuel grade you want, but you'll get the most gains from a premium gas program.

If you get a single program chip then you install it and forget about it. You can also get a dual program chip (87/93 or street/strip etc) with a dash mounted switch to switch between programs.

i like the sound of a single better. so what you mean is i'll will get it(from the group buy) programmed how i want it, say to use with 91 or 92 octane? and you're saying getting it programmed for 87 or 89 is pointless?

Brian (apten) can program the chip for better fuel mileage with a 87 octane program. If you want a performance program which requires 91+ octane he can do that to. Or you could do both and have the best of both worlds.

geez, the options, the options. would the both be the dual chip? and i am definitely looking for performance. fuel milage would be nice too but the whole reason i want it is for performance.i'm on kind of a binge. i'm gettin a new gibson cat-back and mac intake so i figured i might as well hitup that apten group buy brfore it's over. and thanks for the help, i'm starting to learn about these chips finally.

If you went with the better gas mileage/ performance chip it would be the dual one for $300. I have the one with two custom programs but my second program is for the nos.

i guess $300 isn't a bad deal. where is the switch for the stock setting located? right on the chip. i like the idea of being able to switch back, thats kinda cool.

he has somethin now thats single program that you could have performance burn on the chip but still be able to flip back to stock and it was cheaper than the dual program chips i do believe.

I have the 87 burn right now and the trans behaves soooo much better its worth it.

so are you saying with the chip programmed to 87 octane, you are gettinga definite improvement in performance? and did it affect the gas milage at all?

Ok let me break it down for you. There are three different programs.

1. Performance 91+ octane thats it, no switches no nothing.

2. Performance 91+ octane plus a stock setting so you can switch between performance and stock.

3. Performance 91+ octane, better gas mileage with 87 octane and a stock setting.

There is a wire (about 10 feet) that connects to the back of the chip with a switch on the end that allows you to switch between the different programs.

Just out of curiosity,
can you switch wile the Ex is running? Assuming the tank has 91 in it ?

You can switch from custom program 1 to custom program 2 while the truck is running. In order to get to the stock program you need to turn the truck off and restart.

performance is better just due to the trans program. It might have a little better response but its not a huge diff. I have a leadfoot and dont really pay too much attention to the gas mileage. I didnt get the fuel economy program though. You can squeeze out a little power without needing higher octane gas. Ill get a better idea on fuel mileage whe i make the 600mile trip to NC sunday

so rydinhigh, i'm don't get #3. if it's performance 91+, why would you put in 87? and i thought you couldn't put in 87 if the chip was progammed for 91+, unless it was off and on the stock setting of course.

It would have 2 settings, 93 and performance, and 87 and mileage. The 87 program would differ from the stock Ford program because it would still include tranny mods and optimization for mileage.

oh i see, so that would be the dual program chip? and set on 87, you just get better milage but no performance increase, and on 93 obviously, the performance. am i on the right track?

Well, you can also get 87 performance; I am getting 87 performance and 92 performance. Basically you can get anything you can think of.

rhett, so would that be considered a dual chip.

alphabets13 what are you looking to get out of the chip? I think it would be easier to tell you which one to get that way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that's a dual chip (aka flip chip) I'm getting. It has a switch with 3 settings: 87 performance, 92 performance, and stock (bypasses the chip).

Back