• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

ARB Old Man Emu Leaf Springs

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
When looking at aftermarket options for a heavier leaf spring option for my 1998 XLT I came across a few threads discussing the ARB Old Man Emu stock and small lift (1.5") replacement leaf springs.

I want to avoid custom leaf packs and welding so a bolt on replacement is preferred.

An add a leaf is an option but I am ready to pull the trigger and replace the leafs all together.

Does anyone have personal experience with these Old Man Emu leaf springs?

I was looking at getting the 1.5" lift ones to replace a set of saggy stock springs. Will the combination of my warrior shackle lift along with the additional 1.5" for the OME leafs cause any issues or should I be ok?

would love to hear any info or alternative suggestions anyone may have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
If your going to be buying new lift springs, your better off just getting the bigger lift packs, and remove the extended shackles.

Stock length shackles are better for the rig, for a couple of reasons. 3/8" thick aftermarket shackles are available in stock 5.5"L or 6"L (1/4" lift) to replace the weak stock units.

Something to think about if your going thru the trouble of replacing them.

Reactions: ~X~

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
If your going to be buying new lift springs, your better off just getting the bigger lift packs, and remove the extended shackles.

Stock length shackles are better for the rig, for a couple of reasons. 3/8" thick aftermarket shackles are available in stock 5.5"L or 6"L (1/4" lift) to replace the weak stock units.

Something to think about if your going thru the trouble of replacing them.
I still have the old stock shackles but they are sheet metal compared to the warriors. I will have to look into a set of the 6" shackles once I get this project going.

The leafs are almost sitting flat on my rig at this point and anything is better than these tired old girls.

I might go with the stock size Emu leafs and keep the warriors for now. Lots to think about!

Thank you for pointing this out!

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
I use Rock Tactics 3/8" shackles (same as Warrior). They are lasercut, and very stout. You might have to open the bolt hole by 1/16" for your bolts, but these are the best bang for your buck out there for some killer quality. You have to paint them yourself. I clear coated mine just to be different.

I dare anybody to find some as good as these, for a better price! lol

Rock Tactics 3/8" Thick, 6" Shackle Plates, Set of Four

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
I use Rock Tactics 3/8" shackles (same as Warrior). They are lasercut, and very stout. You might have to open the bolt hole by 1/16" for your bolts, but these are the best bang for your buck out there for some killer quality. You have to paint them yourself. I clear coated mine just to be different.

I dare anybody to find some as good as these, for a better price! lol

Rock Tactics 3/8" Thick, 6" Shackle Plates, Set of Four
Those are some heavy looking plates... and $20!? I do prefer the type with the cross member welded in between them to prevent twisting but I doubt these would with that girth its rocking haha!

Its hard to do away the the warriors they are beefy! I think for now I will order the leafs at stock size and throw them on.
31301999_1949383341740522_872441087703121920_n.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X ARB front IFS Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
E Anyone have any experience with ARB Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
S Out With The Old, In With The New Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
D Old Man Emu Nitrochargers parts # for 99 explorer Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
ProjectAviator Application guide for old man emu??? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
Peter Westling Old Man Emu Leaf spring for 1st gen ex's Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
I Old Man Emu Shocks Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
I Old Man Emu Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
S Krusty old shocks! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
A old superlift bracket weaknesses? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
A What to do with old version of Superlift RA's, any thoughts? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
9 old leaves good for soa Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
N old body bushings Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
9 Good Lift for 16 Year old? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
C my one month old spindles are already rustinG?! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
O Where can i get Old Man Emu OME rear springs at a good price? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
E Old Man Emu Shocks Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
biggs85 old man emu shocks Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
9 Old Man Emu Nitrocharger shocks Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
rpenner54 A pic of one of my old Radius Arms Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
Q Old Man Emu Springs......$269 is this good??? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 7
R Old Man Emu Shocks Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
S New post for old subject... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
K Old Man Emu Shocks Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
L Well i did the add-a-leaf but MAN the squeak! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
J man im confused Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
I Ole Man Emu Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 14
C Poor man's lift kit Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
B Auto hub to Man. Hub Questions from a Newbie Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2