ARB selectable locker for front exp 98 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ARB selectable locker for front exp 98 xlt

rabellll

Reaction score
City, State
Russia, far and deep siberia
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '98 XLT
May be somebody know how resolve my problem.
I have exp 98 xlt with dana 35 in front. And my best wish is selectable locker in the front. In my local area is snowy weather a long time a year, so, I need awd, and so automatic locker not good for me. I talked with ARB and they told me, that his lockers is not available for my 98 year. It is available just for 97 and earlier. But in forums, some people talk that they know somebody, who did it well with 98+. So, I have few questions to guru:
1. What is different between Dana 35 from 98 and Dana 35 from 97 years? Or may be it is same, but t-cases are different? Or only electric managing system is different? May I adjust my Dana 35 for install locker?
2. May I swap Dana 98 to Dana 97 and install locker after it? What will change? Should I know something special for this swapping?
3. Probably, somebody here already have ARB locker in the front on exp 98+? Let me know, please, how did you do it?

Part numbers of my dana 35 IFS is: 610642 3; D- 042-A; F87A-3002- HA
Engine V6 SOHC 4L; Tranny – 5R55E; t-case BW 4405; gear ratio 4.56

Many thanks for all comments
Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That 97/98 break is I think for the Ford Ranger, not the Explorer.

Basically I think what you want is for the the Dana 35 low-pinion (not the "reverse" cut) non-C-clip.

Jon wrote [Is it possible they are referring to the 95 96 vacuum disconnect type front axle and hub?]

No, on the arb website in the application list wrote exactly 90 - 97

http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf

Alex

Jon wrote [Is it possible they are referring to the 95 96 vacuum disconnect type front axle and hub?]

No, on the arb website in the application list wrote exactly 90 - 97

http://www.arbusa.com/alac/215109.pdf

Alex

if you look at that website that you showed, it lists the Ranger and Explorer in the same line. This is actually not correct because the explorer went from the ttb front to the torsionbar IFS in 94-95, and the ranger didn't make the change untill 97-98.

So, they do not have an ARB that will work with the IFS, only the TTB

I already asked them about exp 97 and now await his answers
Alex.

I already asked them about exp 97 and now await his answers
Alex.

Your question has been answered. The 90-97 is for the ranger. It will not work for you.

Back