• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

ARC for on board air?

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
I'm looking at buying a '97 Limited that comes with ARC. I don't plan to keep the ride control system functional but it got me wondering if the compressor could be repurposed to run a small onboard air system, mostly to air up tires or maybe a future rear airbag mod.

I did some searching on the site but didn't find anything. Has this been done or is it not feasible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Flash

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Limited
There's no reason that it wouldn't work, you'd need a pressure vessel and a relief valve.
You'd also need to work out a way of keeping the hoses tidy and accessible.

I knew a bloke who used his fabricated bumper as a pressure vessel and I read about someone who was talking about welding up the holes in his chassis and using one of the frame rails.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
From my experience, the ARC pump goes on for a few seconds and then shuts off. If you run it for longer than what it was intended for, then it may overheat (bearing seizes in the motor).

willindsay

Reaction score
City, State
Sevierville,TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
If I remember correctly RookieShooter used a air ride pump from a Caddy for his on board air system.

Should be the same concept just using a diff factory pump.

colintrax

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
From my experience, the ARC pump goes on for a few seconds and then shuts off. If you run it for longer than what it was intended for, then it may overheat (bearing seizes in the motor).

If this is the case, mount a fan and some kinda heat sink.