Are 2017 Explorer Platinum Seats more comfortable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are 2017 Explorer Platinum Seats more comfortable?

ford528n

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Expedition
Looking to buy. Will I be happy with XLT or Sport front seats? I take 5 and 6 hour trips. Are the Platinum seats more plush or comfortable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking to buy. Will I be happy with XLT or Sport front seats? I take 5 and 6 hour trips. Are the Platinum seats more plush or comfortable?

I can look it up for you later today. I can say that with the f150 and Superduty, not only is it a more plush leather but the foam in the seats is upgraded as well for comfort. I know the leather is more plush but not sure on the foam.

It is the reason I got my Platinum F350.. the time I spend towing and plowing, my butt wanted the best comfort.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I suggest that you visit a dealer that has several trim levels on the lot and try them for yourself. Opinions from others will likely vary so if you plan to invest $$ in a vehicle and the seat comfort is important, do your own evaluation. Off hand I'd guess the Platinum would be tops, but it is just a guess.

Peter

Make sure you take a test drive and assess the leg space, left leg specifically on the drivers side, it's semi short.

Anybody know how to get the part numbers for the Platinum seat covers? We have the Ceramic which looks nice, but my wife's jeans are discoloring the leather after just a few months. So I figured I'd look into buying a spare driver's side seat cover for down the road when it looks really bad. Can't seen to come up with the proper part number on any of the online Ford Parts websites.

Thanks for the link to the seats discolored thread. The catalog link is the same one I've found myself, however none of the cover part numbers listed say Platinum Ceramic in the description.
If you type in Seat Covers in the 'Search' field of that catalogue site you will get several actual seat covers and there are some if gray. Not sure if that is close to Ceramic or if that is a route you wish to go. They would have to be a vented or 'breathable' type due to the heating/cooling seats. I wear jeans all the time and never had that discolouration issue with my 2011 Limited and those seats were a light colour.

Peter

medium stone.JPG

defiantly drive vehicles back to back. the explorer has a hi lumbar support, and if you get the platinum you ll get the multi contour seats which some find uncomfortable due to the mechanicals of massaging system. yes there are air bladders in the seat but the foam is thinner because of it. many folks on the f150 forums also have issues with them. best bet is to sit in one for an hour and see what you think, its not for everyone. the leather is nicer, however ceramic stains easily but looks great. given the chance I would go back to black. good luck.

If you type in Seat Covers in the 'Search' field of that catalogue site you will get several actual seat covers and there are some if gray. Not sure if that is close to Ceramic or if that is a route you wish yo go. They would have to be a vented or 'breathable' type due to the heating/cooling seats. I wear jeans all the time and never had that discolouration issue with my 2011 Limited and those seats were a light colour.

Peter

View attachment 152960

Seat Back Cover, RIGHT

SEAT BACK W/ O POLICE INTERCEPTOR, LEATHER, EBONY, W/ PLATINUM

Only the L&R seat back covers in Ebony are listed for the Platinum models. No seat bottom covers in Ebony, and no seat back or bottom covers in Ceramic listed for the Platinum models.

Seat Back Cover, RIGHT

SEAT BACK W/ O POLICE INTERCEPTOR, LEATHER, EBONY, W/ PLATINUM

Only the L&R seat back covers in Ebony are listed for the Platinum models. No seat bottom covers in Ebony, and no seat back or bottom covers in Ceramic listed for the Platinum models.
The ones I'm referring to are the plain coloured seat covers that cover both the back and seat cushion. They are listed as accessories. It is an alternative to protecting what you have now instead of actual replacing them later. Not really great looking but would protect the seats.

Peter

The ones I'm referring to are the plain coloured seat covers that cover both the back and seat cushion. They are listed as accessories. It is an alternative to protecting what you have now instead of actual replacing them later. Not really great looking but would protect the seats.

Peter

OK-That would protect the seat, but at the expense of looking less than classy. I'm hoping these online parts catalogs get updates at some point so the part numbers for the factory leather seat covers are shown.

OK-That would protect the seat, but at the expense of looking less than classy. I'm hoping these online parts catalogs get updates at some point so the part numbers for the factory leather seat covers are shown.
Not sure why the catalogue is not showing all the different options/colours unless it is because of the constant change over of interior colours. Ebony is always a choice so that is why it is listed consistently. Likely there isn't a high demand for this item.

Back