are 4.30 gears worth it with 33 inch tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

are 4.30 gears worth it with 33 inch tires?

Jeff213

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 mounty 5.0 4x4
Callsign
KM6BVN
I am considering going with 4.30 gears and 33 inch tires for my v8 4x4 daily driver that I like to take off road and do some towing with. Is there anyone else running this setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends what gearing you have now, IMO. If you have say 4.10, the gain wouldn't be worth the cost. If you have less than say 3.50, it would really make a worthwhile improvement to jump up to 4.30.

I have a 3.73 worn out limited slip and 31 inch tires right now. I am happy with my performance but wouldn't mind a little lower gearing. I could go to 4.56 gears too but that seems like it would be too low for 33 inch tires to me. I am going to have them install my powetrax no slip locker when they have the diff apart as well.

Before you get too much into thought I'm pretty sure no one makes 4.30s for the 95+ d35 ifs. They do make them for the 02+ Explorers that have the super d30.

I say it's worth it. I have 32's and my V8 AWD went to complete **** when I did that. Lack of torque and fuel economy is that of a full size truck or worse.

gotta be 4:56 ,no 4:30's made for the ifs,,,,

Try looking for the tire sizing / gearing chart, it will help you from having headaches in the future.

Ended up keeping the 3.73 gears for now, maybe some time soon I will get the body lift and get 35" tires, and go with 4.56s

Check out this here
gear-chart_zps2w17tbed.gif

Ended up keeping the 3.73 gears for now, maybe some time soon I will get the body lift and get 35" tires, and go with 4.56s
Id go 4.88s..also would've went 4.56 for the 33s

Check out this here
gear-chart_zps2w17tbed.gif
What exactly are the larger numbers? RPM's? What speed is used for this? I only see 2300 or so RPM's with 373 gears and 31" tires at 65 mph so this graph doesn't seem accurate for our trucks.

What Turdle said.

What exactly are the larger numbers? RPM's? What speed is used for this? I only see 2300 or so RPM's with 373 gears and 31" tires at 65 mph so this graph doesn't seem accurate for our trucks.

You're taking it too literally.

Just use the numbers for reference.

I had 28" tires, so go over to the 3.73 and the number is 2909.

Then come down to the 33" tires I now have and find the closest number which falls between the 4.27 and 4.56 columns.

So just like yours, the chart says I need a 4.56 gear to be fairly close to stock numbers.

MT

Back