Are '95 and '98 factory amps the same? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are '95 and '98 factory amps the same?

bcorff

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT 4x4 V6
Does anyone know if the amp in a '95 with a tape deck (I don't think it is premium sound, but it does have an amp) is the same as the amp in a '98 with the dual media (CD/Tape) head unit?

------------------
Brian Corff
'95 XLT 4x4 V6 w/ 31x10.5's
"Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you suck forever."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The amps in the '95 and '98 models are different.

There were three different cassette radios in the '95 Explorer: a "Midline" radio, with 24 Watts internal power (no external amps); a "Premium" radio, with a remote 4X20W amp (this radio has an "AUTO SET" button in the upper RH corner); and an "Audiophile" system (Ford/JBL) that has TWO remote amps - one is a 1X85 SW amp, and the other is actually a combination tuner/amp with 4X15 Watts (this radio will have a "DSP" button on it).

For 1998, the Dual Media Cassette/CD) radio has an internal amp. There are two models of the radio: one is for Premium Sound, and has a 4X20W internal amp; the other has 4X15W internal amp and a line-out for a Subwoofer. The subwoofer comes only with the Ford Mach Audio System. This radio has the RDS (Radio Data System) functions. If the radio does not have RDS, then it will not have the line-out capability for the SW.

This swap would actually be simpler if
1) your '95 had NO extarnal amps; and
2) the '98 radio is the "Premium Sound" model

There are aftermarket adapters available to mate the '98 to the '95 wire harness, but it won't work right if you already have Premium Sound. If the Dual Media radio has RDS (meant for a Mach System), it is not going to sound good in a car without a Sub, as the radios is EQ'd to work in a subwoofered system.

Regards,

Jeff

Cobrajeff,
Thanks for your help. I've currently got the premium radio with the Auto Set button and the amp in back. The dual media head I've got has an RDS button but I don't see a line out for a sub. I don't believe the truck that the dual media head came out of had a sub (I bought if from "the R"), but I will try to find out for sure. What would this line out look like? I've got what's supposed to be the adaptor for this system, but when I tried to install it yesterday, I got confused becaused it seemed to be bypassing the amp and gave up before I messed anything up. So, I guess my questions are: 1) is there an external amp with the '98 dual media system, 2) is the dual media head the "premium" or "mach" version? Thanks again for your help.

------------------
Brian Corff

Brian -

The amplifier for the Dual Media radio is internal to the radio. With Premium Sound, there are NO EXTERNAL amps. With the Mach Audio System, there is an external, dedicated subwoofer amp (the main amp is still inside the radio).

If your radio has the RDS button, it came out of a Mach system. The part number of the radio should be F87F-18C868-A (for a 4-door) or F87F-18C868-B (for a 2-door).

The "line-out" for the subwoofer is just a few pins in the rear connector. I don't have a diagram here, so I can't tell you which ones they are right now.

Regards,
Jeff

Brian -
I did some more research, and it turns out there IS a third model (for 1998 ONLY) of the Dual Media radio, with the RDS button, that was used with Premium Sound, without Mach. That radio would be an F87F-18C868-C. This radio would have an internal 80 Watt amplifier, no equalization, and no subwoofer output. This one should work for what you are trying to do.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff,
Thanks a lot for your help. This third type of Dual/Media unit with the RDS button but not from the MACH system must be what I have because I talked to the guy I got it from and he said he did not have a sub. I installed the unit on Monday with an adaptor that bypassed the factory amp, and it works perfectly. The sound quality is good, and all the functions seem to work. The only difficulty was that wires for the adaptor do have to be run to the back panel where the factory amp is in order to bypass it. Thanks again for your help. Just one more question, what do you think of the quality of this factory dual media unit (I think Pioneer makes it).

------------------
Brian Corff

With thirty years of service at Ford, and half of that in Ford Audio Systems, my opinion would be rather biased.

We always strive to provide the best quality at a reasonable price. In general, most of our factory radios are more "robust" than products you would buy in the aftermarket. We tend to warranty them for the same period as a new vehicle warranty, not 90 days like most aftermarket stuff.

You will find factory radios tend to have fewer features, and usually larger buttons and displays. The product has to be geared toward the car-buying public, rather than to audio afficianados.

You will also usually see aftermarket stereos with much higher output power ratings. If you get into the expensive equipment, that would be true, but, if you're talking middle segment equipment, it's merely semantics, because most of the factory stuff is rated at "RMS" Watts, and most of the aftermarket stuff is rated at "Peak" power. For example, most aftermarket manufacturers would rate this Dual Media radio (which we rate at 4X20W=80 Watts) as 4X40W, or 160 Watts.

The Ford Dual Media radio made by Pioneer is a good unit, you should see years of trouble-free service. Hope you enjoy your new stereo.

Regards,
Jeff

Hi Jeff...
From what I gather from your conversation is that there are NO external amps in '98 EXCEPT for the Mach system running the sub?
I have just the base CD player and want to replace it but was wondering about the external amp. Thanks for your help.

There are no external amps for Dual Media radios (Cassette/CD combo) in '98 Explorer except for the Mach Subwoofer amp; however, there IS a SINGLE CD radio (CDR) available in the '98 Explorer that has an external amp.

It is a Premium Sound level system, with 4X20 Watts of output power. This radio was not offered with the Mach system. The radio part number would be an F78F-18C815-C. For 1999, there is an identical-looking CDR offered in Explorer and Ranger that has no external amp, and is rated at 4X6 Watts output. That one would be an F87F-18C815-B.

Regards,
Jeff

hopefully a bump on this one will scare up the information i have been seeking.. in regards to the 98-01 cassette /cd radios, from what i understand, these have an internal amp, so if a person had a 96 explorer and wanted to eliminate the subwoofer, the external amp, power antenna, and the CD changer what other than radio power/ground, amp power/ground, speakers, and illumination would need to be wired for the 98-01 radio to work in a 96 ? according to one schematic ive seen there is a red/black wire hot in start... for what ? if there is a constant 12v and a switched 12v, what is the hot in start for ? and what is the logic wire for ? i know the grey/black is for the VSS (dont need that one either)

Back