• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Are any 1991 Aerostar parts interchangeable?

ExplorerMike

Reaction score
City, State
Daytona Beach, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 sport
Hey gang, I was wondering if any parts on this vehicle are interchangable with my 92 sport. Thanks, Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ive heard that some parts are interchangable with a ranger but im not sure about an explorer. What parts where you looking to use?

ExplorerMike

Reaction score
City, State
Daytona Beach, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 sport
Whatever I can. The block for first off and some other motor parts. Hey Namitey, the Califon you are from, near Trenton or in Huntredon county. Mike

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Those Aerostars were 3.0s. Is that the same block as the 4.0?

Robb

FourXFred

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB
Most aerostars are 4.0's and ive heard that they have 8.8 rear axles. besides that i dunno. oh yeah, the 3.0 and the 4.0 have different blocks, the 4.0 shares its block with the old 2.9 V-6, which they bored and stroked to make it a 4.0.

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
OK, the 91 Aerostar was 3.0, so as far as the engine goes, it is worthless to you for Explorer parts.

Robb

rpenner54

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
The Aerostar had both the 3.0 and the 4.0. I don't know about the interchangeability of the two 4.0's in Ex's, and Aerostars. IT has an 8.8 however I belive its 28 spline and its narrower then the Exs.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could use some of the items off the engine. Same with the tranny.

The way to tell the 4.0 and the 3.0 apart is typically the 4.0 only came with the AWD version and the 3.0 came with the 2wd. Although I am sure there were exceptions.

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
I live about an hour north of trenton. I live about 15 minutes from clinton if you know where that is.