Are Autolite better? I installed Bosch spark plugs. Now my MPG is definately down. :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are Autolite better? I installed Bosch spark plugs. Now my MPG is definately down. :(

mawrazen

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
I did a tune up and installed Bosch Platinum+2 spark plugs in the fall. Since then my MPG has decreased by at least 10%

I used to get over 20 MPG on the highway, now if I'm lucky, I get 17-18.

What is your opinion on these dual ground plugs??

Has anyone else had a similar experience??

I expected better MPG, not worse... :(

From Boschautoparts.com
http://www.boschautoparts.com/sparkplugs/Pages/Platinum2.aspx

"More platinum in the center electrode with two yttrium-enhanced ground electrodes and a more powerful spark.

If you require smoother acceleration, better gas mileage, and optimum engine performance, Platinum+2 is the spark plug for you. Unlike conventional air gap spark plugs, Platinum+2 uses surface air gap technology. The spark of a Platinum+2 first travels over the surface of the insulator nose and then arcs across the air gap to a ground electrode for a longer spark, without increasing the voltage requirement. Plus, the yttrium alloy ground electrodes help to reduce gap wear and oxidation, extending the service life of the spark plug.

Only Bosch offers this revolutionary firing technology, which combines the advantages of platinum, multiple electrodes and surface air gap technology for optimum engine performance. "

Blah, blah, blah....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a BMW and other BMW owners advise against BOSCH plugs !

BOSCH=BOTCH

Motorcraft or Autolite is the only plug you should use. Autolite makes the Motorcraft plug for Ford.

I don't use any Platinum plugs. I use copper exclusively.

The Bosch plugs don't work very well in Ford engines.

Stick with Motorcraft or Autolite (virtually the same plug.) You will be much happier.

BOSCH=BOTCH

Motorcraft or Autolite is the only plug you should use. Autolite makes the Motorcraft plug for Ford.

Dan,

How often do you change your plugs? My understanding is, the only thing platinum does is extend the length of life for the plugs (the electrode doesn't wear as fast.)

I change them once a year. Cheap insurance.

BOSCH=BOTCH

Why do people keep saying this?? I have E3's in my 5.0. Last week I did some summer deer herd control for a farmer that is just over an hour away. 120+ miles round trip. I filled it up before I left and came back with just a hair under 3/4 tank!! I figured to be around 21 MPG's. Thats with the TMH's, 1.7 roller rockers, Some stop and go traffic going through little towns, passing blue hairs. I think that E3's are better than Bosch, but to say that Motorcraft or Autolite is the ONLY thing you can use, is a misconception in my book. I get great mileage and I could tell bye seat 'o the pants a little peppier.

Ex Junky,

Sometimes when a motor starts running badly and the owner has tried everything else, its better to go back to OEM sparks. It has worked. Some engines are very particular about their plugs. This does not mean the E3 or Bosch are bad, (Bosch makes the OEM O2 sensor for this truck) but just may work better in different applications.

Why do people keep saying this?? I have E3's in my 5.0. Last week I did some summer deer herd control for a farmer that is just over an hour away. 120+ miles round trip. I filled it up before I left and came back with just a hair under 3/4 tank!! I figured to be around 21 MPG's. Thats with the TMH's, 1.7 roller rockers, Some stop and go traffic going through little towns, passing blue hairs. I think that E3's are better than Bosch, but to say that Motorcraft or Autolite is the ONLY thing you can use, is a misconception in my book. I get great mileage and I could tell bye seat 'o the pants a little peppier.

The TM's are gaining you more than those way over priced over hyped E3 plugs. Your old plugs were probably shot.

Are you just guessing you got 21 mpg or did you measure your mileage? I'm sorry but I don't see a spark plug gaining 3-5 mpg.

I don't know if this is it But, you said you changed them last fall. Was that right before they switched to winter blend fuel? If so, that could account for the loss in mileage. That is assuming you haven't rechecked the mileage recently (using summer fuel).

I personally had a bad experience with Bosch in our '92. One of the electrodes exploded and got stuck between the valve and the head and scored the cylinder wall some.

Since then I've just stuck with the autolites since I change them once a year whether they need it or not.

~Mark

I have been tracking the mileage for many years... always 18-22 MPG. I have no CELs.

I had a bad cannister purge selonoid thats been replaced, I was hoping that was the culprit. I have made 3 trips to and from ATLanta from NJ and have always gotten over 20 MPG. The only change has been the plugs. :(

Maybe its just that I have over 307,000 miles on her. The old red mare... she aint what she used to be. :(

Maybe its just that I have over 307,000 miles on her. The old red mare... she aint what she used to be. :(

That may have something to do with it...:p:

I change them once a year. Cheap insurance.

I'm planning on switching to copper too.

Mind if you post what Autolite Copper plugs you're using?

I'm planning on switching to copper too.

Mind if you post what Autolite Copper plugs you're using?

I don't mind but I can't remember :D

Plus I have the 5.0 yea. :D:D

I don't mind but I can't remember :D

Plus I have the 5.0 yea. :D:D

lol..

do they (autolite) have a variety of copper plugs or just one type for our trucks? y'know what, i'll just check on their website :)

and yeah, i have the 5.0 too :D

lol..

do they (autolite) have a variety of copper plugs or just one type for our trucks? y'know what, i'll just check on their website :)

and yeah, i have the 5.0 too :D

I think it was Autolite 764. I don't know if there is more than one type or not.

IIRC, I run the 764s in my 4.0...

I have NGK's in my 94.I have run them in a variety of vehicles and they have always worked well.The 94 never ran better in my opinion.In my years as a mechanic I have seen where some engines simply didn't like a particular brand of plug.

Most of the GM's that I worked on would choke on Champions for example,it beats me why.The only Bosch plugs I have ever run where in older snowmobiles and they sucked,but that was a long,long time ago.:D

The TM's are gaining you more than those way over priced over hyped E3 plugs. Your old plugs were probably shot.

Are you just guessing you got 21 mpg or did you measure your mileage? I'm sorry but I don't see a spark plug gaining 3-5 mpg.

NOPE!! I had a new engine put in. He put OEM plugs in there. I went to the E3's based on what I heard, and seen from various sources. I was at about 19 BEFORE the E3's. So, I did measure my mileage, not just guessing here. Like a lot of people are saying, sometimes the vehicle just likes a certain plug in it, and some don't. I guess the way I have mine set up, it runs better. Also, they were only $.59 more per plug than OEM replacements at Advance. So, my opinion is not as yours. Not overpriced, and not over hyped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to add a data point to this thread...

I replaced my 4-year-old (35K miles) Motorcraft Platinum (dealer installed) spark plugs last week, with Autolite APP104 double platinums gapped to .052".

I didn't notice a substantial difference in power or smooth idling, but maybe a little improvement in starting (old plugs took 2 seconds to catch, new plugs are maybe 1/2 second better.)

But, I did get an immediate and HUGE improvement in MPG's... my first 1/2 tank since the new plugs averaged 17.7 MPG, before I was getting maybe 15.5 MPG tops, and the average was usually worse. Even when new, the Motorcraft plugs never gave me that kind of mileage.

(My vehicle is a stock '99 Mountaineer AWD, 5.0L V8, with 140K miles)

Back