Are catalytic convertors covered under original Ford warranty? 2017, about 45k miles. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are catalytic convertors covered under original Ford warranty? 2017, about 45k miles.

Blackout2017

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vegas, baby!
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport Shadow 401A
I'm in a bit of an emergency and I'm having trouble getting through to my local Ford dealership. I have a 2017 Explorer Sport with about 45,000 miles on it. I just got a call from my mechanic that it's got melted catalytic convertors. He said that it may be covered under the original Ford warranty. I purchased it from CarMax, and they consider this a maintenance issue and therefore not covered by their warranty. Without Ford covering it, it's going to cost me about $4,500. Any helpful info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought emissions equipment has 100k mile coverage.

But first, you need to find the cause of the damage.
The mechanic said that it may have been caused by a bad O2 sensor, but he stopped working once he verified with CarMax that they wouldn't be covering the service.

Why did you bring it in?
Issues running or check engine light?
Failed emissions check?

Converters may be covered.
Major components are covered (catalytic converter included) 8 years/80,000 miles, but the O2 sensor appears to be only covered for first 2 years/24k miles.
Since a failing O2 sensor may have caused the converter to fail, it may not be covered.

I'm in a bit of an emergency and I'm having trouble getting through to my local Ford dealership. I have a 2017 Explorer Sport with about 45,000 miles on it. I just got a call from my mechanic that it's got melted catalytic convertors. He said that it may be covered under the original Ford warranty. I purchased it from CarMax, and they consider this a maintenance issue and therefore not covered by their warranty. Without Ford covering it, it's going to cost me about $4,500. Any helpful info?
Have you checked your Warranty Guide?

Here is what I found.

1661882746381.png

Peter

Have you checked your Warranty Guide?
This just happened, I don't have the warranty guide handy, I've been trying to get ahold of anyone at the dealership but so far no messages have been returned.

"Converters may be covered.
Major components are covered (catalytic converter included) 8 years/80,000 miles, but the O2 sensor appears to be only covered for first 2 years/24k miles.
Since a failing O2 sensor may have caused the converter to fail, it may not be covered."

That's good info, thank you.

[edited typo]

This just happened, I don't have the warranty guide handy, I've been trying to get ahold of anyone at the dealership but so far no messages have been returned.

"Converters may be covered.
Since a failing O2 sensor may have caused the converter to fail, it may not be covered."

That's good info, thank you.

[edited typo]

Double check the time/mileage on the "non-major" parts.
I don't think it really matters in your case since you're beyond, but Peter's post indicates it's 3yrs/36k.

Here is what I found.

View attachment 433841

Peter
UPDATE: I'm at 5 years and 42,000 miles. I spoke with a service advisor at the Ford dealership. He said that it might be covered by the Ford warranty, but he'll need to verify that it is in fact melted catalytic convertors, and it it depends on what caused them to melt (as in bad maintenance by me, or failed parts by them). I just had it towed over there for $89, and they'll do a diagnostic for $250. If the warranty covers it, the service is free and they wave the $250. If not, I pay the $250 plus the cost of repair, which my mechanic already quoted me at $4,500.

If Ford quotes me more than $4,500 for the repair, I'll have to tow it back to my mechanic, which will be three tows plus the $250 Ford diagnostic, bringing me right up to $5,000. Thoughts and prayers, my friends. Thoughts and prayers.

That is a lot for just a cat converter. Those get stolen all of the time in this area and the replacements (including labor) are ~ $1500 for most vehicles.

For reasons that are unclear, it isn't allowed to put on a used converter, so that price is for a new one.

$4500 to replace converters?
You can buy the converters for about $1400 from Ford.

Where is the other $3100 coming from?

I did a quick check on Autonation Ford White Bear Lake and total for my 14 Sport was just over $1500 for the 2 cats. I'm guessing the 2017 will be the same...or it should be very similar.

$1444.14 at Levittown plus whatever discount they give to our members.
$1399.41 at Tasca.
$1811.43 at Ford Part (shows parts are on backorder)

Peter

sounds like it should be but that estimate sounds high but every things high on new cars see if theres aftermarket one that works and take old cats with receipt for replacement to scrap yard help with cost. but you need to find cause also report the incident to the agency dont know if that would be federal dot or the epa it many have it happen warrantee or not ford could be ordered to fx or pay

UPDATE: The huge, gigantic, amazing, colossal good news is that everything is covered by the Ford warranty, thank the old gods and the new. I was told when it arrived at the dealership that they would have to determine the cause of failure before they could make that determination, but the service manager is more of a short-text rather than long-conversation kind of communicator, so I only got the bottom line good news rather than the full findings of the investigating committee.

Ford Explorers have two (like mine) or three or four catalytic converters. When my primary overheated, it melted and took out the secondary, which also overheated and melted. Anyone who isn't living under a rock knows that catalytic convertors have replaced bottle caps as the new form of post-collapse currency, and are therefore rare and valuable, and as the service manager told me yesterday, even more so for me because I have the twin turbo engine. He has already replaced the primary, but the other per his text is "... on back order with no eta. They are an in demand product these days." So until then it just sits on the lot while I drive a rental that's costing me $400 a week. Also since they had time to kill, they took care of the recall items, too (rear toe link, roof rail, and one other that I can't remember right now). I let him charge me $40 to replace the air filter, kind of like tipping the waitress even though you have a coupon for a free meal.

Regardless, I'm calling this one a win. I'll keep the rental another week, but after that I'm begging rides from coworkers. Fingers crossed on a secondary cat converter being manufactured some time before the heat death of the universe.

Side note, I'm seriously considering purchasing another set of catalytic converters and the dreaded water pump just to have on hand against future misadventures.

UPDATE: Exactly 3 months after breaking down on the freeway, getting towed (and having the contract tow company steal my credit card info), finding out that the CarMax warranty wouldn't cover the repair, getting towed again to a Ford dealership that WILL cover the cost, and then having the vehicle sitting on the lot at the dealership waiting for the needed part (surrounded by more FPIU's than I've ever seen together in one place), I just got a got a call from the service department that the second catalytic convertor has arrived and I'm getting bumped to the head of the line for install. It's a Thanksgiving miracle!

Yea Explorer converters amongst other thing have been on back order, been waiting up to six months for some parts!!

Yea Explorer converters amongst other thing have been on back order, been waiting up to six months for some parts!!

Honestly I was going to give them one more week and just tow it to a muffler shop and pay out of pocket to get it back on the road. I learned my lesson, though. I'm buying whatever spare parts I may need.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those of you who are wondering why Ford would replace catalytic converters when the vehicle is no longer within the Bumper to Bumper warranty as well is not within the powertrain warranty .......it's because they are obligated to make the repairs under the Federal Emissions Vehicle Warranty. This warranty is for 8 years/80,000 miles.

Back