Are Components Worth The Extra Money? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are Components Worth The Extra Money?

krispy97xlt

Reaction score
City, State
LaGrange, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
Guys it has come time for me to replace the speakers/ headunit in my Explorer. I am on a budget but what advantages do I gain when going with a set of components as opposed to going with a coaxil speaker setup?
Any opinions/experences helpfull!

Thanks Guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Highs... And lots of them, if you aim your tweets right.

Bascially, you'll bring the sound stage up and you'll be able to aim your tweeters directly at your ears (remember, the higher the frequency, the more directional the sound) But, the Explorer speakers are relatively high in the door, so you're highs will be good with regular speakers too...

in my Acura (which had the front speakers down by your ankle) there was a HUGE difference between the 3 way Infinity Kappa's and the Kappa components... but thats b/c the speakers were finally pointed at my ear, and not my ankle/shin.

It's like night and day.

Spend the money and get it done right.

Depends... If you just have OEM deck or aftermarket coaxials may be the option to go with.

MOST component sets NEED amp power. And good set of components really need a sub to round off the system.

I added Infinity Reference components to my dad's '98 Mounty with the Mach system and it sounds great. The Mach amp has enough wattage to push them nicely.

For what its worth, my Alpine Type R components sounded great when run off the factory deck (when testing them during the install) but sound amazing with 45W RMS running to them!

Components are a great improvement, even if run off the head unit... I would recommend them....

I would say yes, yes yes. JL make a really interesting 6x8 that is a component speaker with a coaxial set up. They have a seperate crossover, and the tweeter rotates on it's axis for better imaging purposes. I have installed these on three explorers they are a perfect drop in awesome power handling and the tweets are so close to MB Quart Q series. In a blind taste test with a little EQ tweek you can't hear the difference. Way cheaper, and a more ergonomic X-over to make the install easier.Dead Link Removed

Thanks for the help....to clear up a few raised questions, I will have a new headunit, and I will have subs. I am curious why components need amp power, more so than a co-axil setup. Does anyone have info on where they mounted their tweets? and X overs....also what is the best component set for the money? Thanks for all your help and I hope you can shed a little more light on the problem.

Chris

IMO the JL I spoke of above are where it is at. You don't have to mount the tweeters remotely. X-over is an easy install. Open your door and look at the plastic molding. In the top corner there is a flat raised spot that almost sits flush with the dash board when your door is closed. When you remove the door panel you will see that there is plenty of room under there for a x-over. It is out of the way and out of sight. Unless you are building a show car or something, stuff those x-overs up there.
Hope it helps
Jeff

My Durango's got some stocker Infinitys and they sound GREAT! I like how my X's speakers sound but these are definately better. A supplement, but probably not as good as the real thing, is getting an HU with DSO, makes the speakers sound higher up .. somehow. Just mount the tweeters in a good spot, I'm sure that makes all the difference.

if you go to www.ikesound.com you'll find alot of diffferent companies out there, with some damn good prices! i wish i lived in the states, listen to a few at your local shop, and you'll finally decide on a pair that you'll like....

i think i might upgrade my rockford fnx series with alpine type r series comps, just cuz the highs are too much for me......i need ambience but then its just personal pref. you'll soon find out which companies are made for sound quality and which companies are just making comps because they're subs are good.....does that make sense?

Back