Are inflatable seat belts a marketing gimmick? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are inflatable seat belts a marketing gimmick?

kappaknight

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
We're currently looking at some of the various options available on the Ex so we can place our order. As a gadget nerd, it seems very likely that we will be ordering the Limited w/ the 302a package.

However, I can't seem to make a decision either way on the inflatable seat belts. Sure, the brochures look nice with what it looks like when fitted against children but have they been tested and proven safer than regular seat belts? Also, how do they work with child seats w/o bases?

With our first baby on the way, safety is definitely a key issue. I would like to think if we do get the inflatable seat belts that they have at least been proven to do something that traditional ones cannot. I'm not going to buy something out of fear but at the same time, new technologies may or may not work or have the intended effects.

What would you do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a fair amount of research on them and if they work like Ford says they do, then they were a no brainer for me. It releases alot of the pressure that can be felt on a normal belt. I think they said 5 times less than traditional seatbelts. Plus they are more comfortable than regular seatbelts and arn't that much more expensive. Dont need the seat belts when putting a car seat in this vehicle because it has the LATCH system in it which speaking from experience, is so much easier than having to use the seat belt! Hope that helped at all.

I don't think it's a gimmick.. I think it makes perfect sense. The seatbelts blow/expand sideways and outward to make a pillow 3 times as wide as a normal belt. To have it cover more chest area then just a strap seems like a much better safety feature.

For 200.00 on a 48K vehicle, this was a no brainer.

Safety in my family is big.

I was in the same boat as you. Of course safety is paramount but this is new technology (at least on automobiles) and new technology can be buggy (as we've all seen/read re this first model year Explorer). I hope to have kids soon so I also thought about car seat compatibility. Ford says they're compatible but I want to see what happens when the seatbelts expand while holding in a car seat. I don't know with what kind of pressure the seatbelts expand but I'm a skeptic and think of the worst case scenario, like the expansion of the belts causing the car seat seatbelt slots to crack or something.

Ultimately, I chose not to get them. I'd like to see how they perform in the real world before I entrust them with my family's safety.

Like I said before. Why would you use a seat belt when this vehicle has the latch system? Use it!!!!!

I'm not too familiar with the LATCH system since I've never owned a car seat. Is there LATCH for all three second row seats?

Not according to the owners manual I downloaded. Only the outboard positions had LATCH.

Can anyone who has received their Ex confirm?

Right they are only in the two outboard seats in the second row. However, the rear inflatable seatbelts are the same as well. There is not a rear inflatable seatbelt in the middle seat so either way the car seat will either use the latch system or use a seatbelt that doesn't have the air bags in them.

I was in the same boat as you. Of course safety is paramount but this is new technology (at least on automobiles) and new technology can be buggy (as we've all seen/read re this first model year Explorer). I hope to have kids soon so I also thought about car seat compatibility. Ford says they're compatible but I want to see what happens when the seatbelts expand while holding in a car seat. I don't know with what kind of pressure the seatbelts expand but I'm a skeptic and think of the worst case scenario, like the expansion of the belts causing the car seat seatbelt slots to crack or something.

Ultimately, I chose not to get them. I'd like to see how they perform in the real world before I entrust them with my family's safety.

I agree on your concerns on new technology but I do not see how anything can be buggy with the inflatable belts. It runs off the same airbag sensors as the rest of the car. If the seatbelt is not buckled, it will not deploy. It is pretty simple technology, no different the any other airbag.

Like I said before. Why would you use a seat belt when this vehicle has the latch system? Use it!!!!!

As the original poster stated a childs seat without a base. Now that statement would lead me to believe that the OP meant an infants seat that needs to be removed at the end of every trip. Latch in this scenario is a huge PITA. Now if the seat is installed and left there I would agree and say use the LATCH system. Before my kids moved on to booster seats instead of infant/child seats it was always easier to use the belts than the latch system anyway. Clip and go instead of looking for the latch anchor point inbetween the seats. The seats would also be tighter to the truck using the seatbelts.

So... Am I the only one wondering how much it costs to reload them when they trip for a quick stop? Do they only trip when the other air bags do?

Yea I was wondering too; you can see the cloth material just shred when they pop open.
I wouldnt imagine it being an easy task either.

Im all for safety, but I think I would pass on them. Imagine getting a little fender bender bump and having to replace all your seatbelts? :dunno:

Im all for safety, but I think I would pass on them. Imagine getting a little fender bender bump and having to replace all your seatbelts? :dunno:

At least at that point the insurance is replacing them or totalling out your vehicle. How about when the ratchet mechanism locks up and you have to replace the seatbelt on your own?

As I stated in my previous post, the seat belts will only deploy if the other airbags deploy. It runs off the same sensors as the side and front airbags.

So a little fender bender will not deploy the seatbelts.

I had the opportunity to speak with one of the engineers on the inflatable seatbelt program.

He confirmed this option is NOT available to retrofit at a later date.

The reasons are because the seatbelt has two tensioners compared to the normal single tensioner. Also the seat is actually different as it has the "inflator" built in to it. Also the buckle is different. When the vehicle has airbag deployment and subsequent inflatable seatbelt deployment the entire seat must be replaced not just the belt assembly.

He mentioned that the plan now is to engineer the two tensioners into one smaller unit so it can be adapted into more Ford/Lincoln vehicles.

Also as BlwnSmoke stated, these cant deploy unless the front airbags are triggered.

He explained they actually used cadavers in testing not just test dummies. The cadaver would be simulating a person sleeping during impact and seatbelt airbag deployment. The subsequent injury reduction was significant. Hopefully this becomes standard equipment soon.

Ford is really leading the way in safety.

How did he know that the cadavers had less injury. Did the cadavers tell him where it was hurting lol !!!

Isn't it a STD feature on the 2012 302a models now? I know looking at the order guide if you get the 301a and the added BLIS option it now comes with that option.

Also to the OP about the car seat. I'm sure all car seats system nowadays use bases to attached the carrier to the seats therefore you could use the seat belt in the middle or use the latch system on the outboard since the car seat base has straps for it. Also it's best to get a supplement base for your other vehicle. To avoid having to switch it put between vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the opportunity to speak with one of the engineers on the inflatable seatbelt program.

He confirmed this option is NOT available to retrofit at a later date.

The reasons are because the seatbelt has two tensioners compared to the normal single tensioner. Also the seat is actually different as it has the "inflator" built in to it. Also the buckle is different. When the vehicle has airbag deployment and subsequent inflatable seatbelt deployment the entire seat must be replaced not just the belt assembly.

He mentioned that the plan now is to engineer the two tensioners into one smaller unit so it can be adapted into more Ford/Lincoln vehicles.

Also as BlwnSmoke stated, these cant deploy unless the front airbags are triggered.

He explained they actually used cadavers in testing not just test dummies. The cadaver would be simulating a person sleeping during impact and seatbelt airbag deployment. The subsequent injury reduction was significant. Hopefully this becomes standard equipment soon.

Ford is really leading the way in safety.

Thanks for this, I was just about to create a new thread asking if it was possible to retrofit the inflatable belts into a base Explorer but now I don't have to.

I sure wish it was possible though, or better yet that Ford offered them as an option on the base Explorer as well. I'm considering a few different SUVs at this point... the inflatable seatbelts would be awesome to have in a vehicle (too bad they're not offered in the front too) and I do believe eventually they'll probably become standard in all vehicles from all manufacturers. But unfortunately they're not available on the base Explorer, which means to get the inflatable belts I'd need to spend an additional $7K or so on the XLT + the inflatable belt option, which puts the Explorer outside of my budget range.

Back