Are New Motorcraft shocks oil or gas filled? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are New Motorcraft shocks oil or gas filled?

fabianoliver

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montevideo - Uruguay
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Hello all.
I've bought 4 Motorcraft Shocks 2x ASHV1000 and 2xASHV992 at rockauto.

I've sent them to Miami, and from there they were suposed to fly this friday to Uruguay.
The Company in Miami says they cannot bring gas shocks, but i don't know if they're gas or oils, and i cannot find the answer.
Someone can help me with this info? gas, ot oil?

Thanks a lot!

Fabian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello all.

I've sent them to Miami, and from there they were suposed to fly this friday to Uruguay.
The Company in Miami says they cannot bring gas shocks, but i don't know if they're gas or oils, and i cannot find the answer.

Thanks a lot!

Fabian
The shocks on my 99 are gas so I'm betting those are gas as well

s
Hello all.

Thanks a lot!

Fabian
ince its an OE my guess is oil, but of course its not definite. most OE shocks i seen are oils, since they are cheaper etc.

They are oil filled they come with a small charge of gas to keep the floating piston floating
I did cut 1 and half to see I was curious

AFAIK, pretty much all OE shocks are gas charged, and also have oil. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but an oil only shock would be something like the Ranchos, which you can discriminate as not being gas charged because they don't expand to a fully extended state by themselves without forcing them to, don't need a strap on them to keep them compressed in their original box.

I found this video this man cuts open a mototcraft shock

Make a video little insight

Back