Are stubs for diff the same length on all 8.8 rears? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are stubs for diff the same length on all 8.8 rears?

sendit

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I pulled a full rear from an 03 4wd to scavenge the mint LSD it was holding. I removed the carrier and pinion and put it in my 2008 housing. I have it all together and found some vibration. Most of it had to do with my drive shaft, but there is still some pretty bad vibes over 80 mph. I checked rock auto and saw that the axel shafts for the 03 and 08 have about .2" difference. Is this in the stub that goes into the diff or some other part of the axel? They went in kind of hard, but idk if that's because of part quality or the open diff shaft stubs are too long for the LSD. No leaks, just a vibration. I still need to check the tire balance, but they are pretty new tires. Probably less that 7 months on the road. I put all new wheel bearing, brakes and rotors and righted everything at ride hight. Well more like I raised the hub until I cold slide all the bolts in easily. That could be wrong too.

Tldr, rebuilt 08 open diff with 03 LSD. Are the shaft stubs that enter the diff the same length? How did you tighten bushings at ride hight without the wheels on?

Back