Are the motorcraft plug wires my best bet? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are the motorcraft plug wires my best bet?

rs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
I'm replacing the plugs and wires. I'm using rockauto for the source.

I'm planning on getting XP104 iridium plugs over the motorcraft platinums, but the forum consensus seems to be stick with the motorcraft wires. The only problem with that is they are EXPENSIVE for OE performance. It seems for less I could get a nice performance set. ($91.99 for the motorcraft set)

Edit: 1998 Eddie Bauer AWD with 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally don't think that the iridium plugs are worth it. Regarding the wires, for a stock coil setup they are the best but the price seems a little high. Look on amazon for a much better price.

Little or no performance gain from plus, wires, or coils, maybe a slightly smoother idle.
If you're spending that much on wires, consider the popular Taylor Cable or Magnecor.
Agree with Flag Gibby regarding plugs. Why stray from OEM when they are time proven
and have worked well this long? You need to complete your vehicle specs. V6 or V8?

Oops, I knew I forgot something. I added the vehicle specs. 1998 Eddie Bauer AWD with a 5.0.

The Iridiums are about a buck a piece more. I figured they would be better. That's all. :)

I did find a better price on the wires. (63.33 shipped new)

i'd stay with the Motorcraft/Autolite platinum or double platinum plugs and Motorcraft wires. it's what was originally specified for your truck and a proven performer. sometimes mixing and matching components can work against you.

i'd stay with the Motorcraft/Autolite platinum or double platinum plugs and Motorcraft wires. it's what was originally specified for your truck and a proven performer. sometimes mixing and matching components can work against you.

If I go with double platinum, which plug should I go with?

stock are already platinum, don't need to upgrade, they work the best,,

period,,

as for the wires,, as long as they fit they work,

Autolite APP104 @ .054 gap with a VERY thin coat of anti seize on the threads.
Some dielectric grease inside the wire boots never hurts. Good another 100K. :thumbsup:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1304435,parttype,7212

+1. Motorcraft and Autolite are made by the same manufacturer. Either are good, but Autolites are easier to find at auto parts stores, as not everyone stocks Motorcraft. I bought mine at Advance as AutoZone only had 7 in stock that day. I paid around $32 as i recall. You many be able to find them cheaper on line, but don't forget the shipping charges. I changed the ones in my 5.0 EB while i was replacing the ball joints (as they were staring me in the face). The old plugs were Motorcraft and may have been the originals with 179k on them. They were really worn and the gap was at .065. Still, I can't honestly say it made any difference in the way it ran or in MPG. Ran great before and after changing the plugs, but it made me feel better to change them.

Back