Are the superchips the same for all Fords? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are the superchips the same for all Fords?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
I have been looking at superchips for my X and noticed that I haven't found any reference to a specific chip number for my 93 Exp. So I was wondering if they are the same chip for all 4.0L V6 ford engines? I found some on Ebay that were cheap and said for 93 Ford Mustang which is 5.0 I believe.

I also have a question about chip type. Here in Alaska we have good ole Emission testing. I noticed a venom chip had an on/off just for this reason. How do the other chips work? Will I have to have it programmed when I need to go get tested every 2 yrs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Superchips won't hurt you during emissions testing, though they might ask if any mods you have are DOT/smog certified. They most likely won't know your chip is there, but you could always remove it just in case and then pop it back in.

Chips are specific for vehicles, engines, transmissions, etc. Smartyparts.com carries them for us, and you tell them your truck info and they get the chip programmed.

Okay, I wasn't sure about that. Smartyparts just says superchip for Ford SUV's without part number.

Is it just that easy. Plug in chip and unplug chip??

I am going to be driving my Explorer down the Alcan highway June 1st from Anchorage to Southern Oregon. Would you think the superchip should be removed for that trip or not. Am I going to burn a significant additional amount of fuel with the chip?

The chip can actually contribute to better mileage cause you'll burn fuel more efficiently. As long as you don't get into the throttle too much to use your new-found power, your mileage will stay the same or get a bit better. Though you'll now be burning premium gas opposed to regular gas.

Does anyone know if there is a chip for the 2002 expl that is actually designed to increase the fuel economy? and if so ....where can these chips be purchased for the best price...... :bounce:

Does it matter if your X has manual trans? I was just wondering if there was going to be less gain with a manual vs auto.

Well, the superchip for an auto trans will include "better" shift points. So theoretically the direct gains in an auto truck are better. But you can always change up the shifts with a stick.

I'm not sure that I understand what that means. I can change up the shift with a stick.

I am looking to improve performance and response.

Back