Are there two oil pressure switches on a 4.0 OHV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are there two oil pressure switches on a 4.0 OHV?

Jim Jermain

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLS
I replaced the oil pressure switch on the drivers side just behind the power steering pump on my '00 4.0 OHV. However O'reilly Auto Parts said there are two listed for my vehicle, one for a switch and another for a gauge. The gauge one as a screw type end where the one I replaced is more of a typical electrical plug connector. My vehicle does have a gauge and a "check gauge" light. Any tips? Are there two or just the one I replaced?

Thanks,

Jim

I can't say for sure on the new of an ohv, but on the older ones, there was an oil pressure sending unit which was actually just a switch since the factory gauge is an analog idiot light.. That one is the one by the p/s pump.

There is also an oil level switch which is on the drivers side of the pan. That one just sets the low oil light on our X.

Keep in mind, I'm talking a 1st gen, but it still a 4.0 ohv.

~Mark

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the comments. I think there must be only one. When I left the electrical connector disconnected on the sensor I replaced, the gauge read no pressure and the "check gauge" light came on.

Jim

all ohv motors had ONE oil PRESSURE switch...it is located behind the PS pump, such as you described. On all FIRST gens, and second gens with a MESSAGE center, there was an oil LEVEL sender in the pan. Those are the only two oil related sensors on the OHV motor

Back