Are these year explorer motors interchangeable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are these year explorer motors interchangeable?

TTU-kz

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have 2 explorers. One is a '98 xlt 4 door and the other is a '00 explorer sport 4x4 which is 2 door. i am wondering if the motor from the '00 explorer will fit in the '98 because i wrecked the '00 beyond repair? also is there any chance the transmission could be used also not necessarily as 4x4? Im not really sure how the 4x4 transmission works but they are both automatic. PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find out whether the motor you have is an OHV or SOHC, and find out what the donor vehicle has...but if theyre the same, then yes.

Are you SURE that the 4x4 an 2wd motors are the same Brian? 'Cause I don't think that they are.... The balancers are different.

2wd Ex Vs. 4wd Ex SOHC is different 4wd has a balance shaft and can effect the engine as in vibrations.

4x4 only has todo with the tcase, the tran'es should be the same.

Also, find out whether the motor you have is an OHV or SOHC, and find out what the donor vehicle has...but if theyre the same, then yes.

Brian, please know what your talking about when you post in threads like this. The only good information you gave the OP was to make sure both motors were sohc or ohv.

To answer the OP's questions you can swap the motor out no matter what it is as long as you swap the transmission and computer with it. To just swap the motor you'll want them to be the same motor, sohc or ohv. And if you have the sohc they will both need to be 4x4 or 2wd motors since there was an additional balancer on the motor for explorers with 4x4.

A 4x4 transmission can not be used as a 2wd transmission without tearing it fully apart and replacing the tail shaft, or vice versa. If the one explorer isn't 4x4 though you should be able to swap the 4x4 stuff in pretty easily, or you could get away without running the front drive shaft for a while.

i did the same thing i have 2 95, 1 was 4x4 and the other was not, the non 4x4 had bad motor and i swap and it runs fine, going to be putting my front axle in soon.

i did the same thing i have 2 95, 1 was 4x4 and the other was not, the non 4x4 had bad motor and i swap and it runs fine, going to be putting my front axle in soon.

Since both were 95 they are the ohv v6, it's the sohc motor that is slitely different.

EDIT -- Post irrelevant.

Balance shaft thread HERE for reference between switching 4x4 with 2wd SOHC motors.

Back