Alec

Elite Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 JK
Ok, so I'm trying to find a place to install the Eaton posi I just got. My mechanic doesn't want to do it because he doesn't have all the equipment to do it right. Another shop that specializes in diffs and trannies gave me a very inflated quote. First of all, they wont install the posi unless I also buy gears from them and they install those too. They want $300 for the labor to install the gears and posi! Isn't that a little high? Also, I don't know if I want lower gears. I currently have 3.27. If I go to 3.55, my mileage will suffer, the truck will be harder to get off the line, harder to drive in the rain, but will accelerate quicker. I actually think the engine/tranny wear balances out: less tranny wear offroad with 3.55, but more engine wear over time. Hmmmm, I wasn't looking to spend another $500, just looking to spend $200 to get the posi in. Guess I have to keep looking.....Any suggestions?

I've thought about doing it myself, but if my mechanic doesn't want to do it, that's probably a sign I don't want to attempt it. Any suggestions on if I should do the gears? I probably wont be getting bigger tires for at least 4 more years, so that's not an issue.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i understand where u are coming from about gas mileage but i would go to 3.55's u could really notice all the power off the line and i don't think u would notice a big diff. in gas

keep looking

Alec, I would keep looking for an installer. They do have to set the gears again when replacing a case type locker, but you shouldnt have to get new gears. No sense getting the new gears if youll need to change again in a few years.

i got a quote for 350 for just gears!!!

try moving to denver....it's $450 per axle for gears. You guys have it cheap

andy

here in miami at our shop gears are 350 installed and that includes gears gear lube and labor. dont worry 3.55 will run great in your truck 3.27 are stock people.

Denver....it's $450 per axle for gears[\b]

You could shop some -- (try BigOffRoad.com) SVO 4.10 gears just over $200 (other makes less!) & a few 'special' install deals at $200/axle...

(or are you talking gears, bearings, installation? then $450 is a good Denver price)

In denver $450 is just the labor charge.
It's daylight robbery

Well I'm having the guy that did my headers do the posi. He's a nice guy with his own shop, just haven't used him in a while. He's charging me $325, flat fee. I found a place for 260, but I trust this guy more, he'll take half the time, and warrantees his work for life. If he feels like it, he's also going to drill the holes for the spotlight :)

Wow!

rumney510 - we should talk -- I work with a shop in Ft. Collins that'd save $$$'s if you're really going for $450/axle labor in Denver.

It's always a good idea to go with a comfortable gear shop that's willing to warranty/guarantee their work.

Wow!

I just drove my truck home from the shop and WOW is all I can say. I decided to stay with my 3.27 gears and just get the posi installed. It cost me $360 for labor and a few misc parts. The operation of the unit is pretty transparent. No noises or strange traction effects have occured yet, but I've only driven it once.

This is after just getting the Eaton posi put in:
The transmission seems smoother, I guess it has an easier time hooking up during shifts. Also, WOT downshifts are quicker and smoother. Up a hill close to my apt, I used to peel a bit off the line, scratch in 2nd, and scratch in 3rd. Now, I launch off the line and have firm steady shifts with NO wheelspin. I love it! It also has very good corner manners. I'll just watch it on really hard corners and in the wet to make sure the back end doesn't step out.

All in all, I'm very pleased.

It will!!

Originally posted by Alec
I'll just watch it on really hard corners and in the wet to make sure the back end doesn't step out.

All in all, I'm very pleased.

Is the eaton the same as the GM stock gov locs? Just curious.

Whats next- shift kit for the tranny?

I don't know if Eaton makes OE posis for GM.

As for the tranny, I was thinking about getting the BM electronic shiftplus controller. All you hook up is 2 wires. However, one of my friends had an early model of one a few years ago and the control box started a small fire in his truck. I dunno if they've fixed the problem. Besides the fire, he said the unit worked pretty well, and I've gotten good feedback from other users. I guess I might go for it, dunno.

Back