argh, lost a sonnax sep plate plug =[ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

argh, lost a sonnax sep plate plug =[

inh

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Springfield(ish), MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
So in the sonnax -EZ kit it has you drill a hole in the sep plate to 1/16" and then they give you a tiny aluminum plug to fill the hole with and peen in place. Well, as you can imagine, the plug went flying..

Think I'll have an issue with using some rosin core solder melted and peened to fill the hole? It's all I can think of... Solder should have a melting point higher than my trans should ever get...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can peen it from both sides that may work, otherwise the pressure on that seperator plate will blow that solder plug right out of that hole. Why do they have you drill the hole then plug it back up?
fyi: lead melts at a little over 600ºF, 60/40 tin/lead about 370ºF and the newer lead-free silver solders melt about 425ºF.

Good idea, I didn't think of that. Aluminum or copper wire would work, or even very fine copper tubing, about 1/4" long but you would have to plug that with some solder.

I've never seen aluminum wire, but I'd feel a lot safer with that than solder that will melt below 400 degrees =/

What should I look for at walmart or a hardware store?

I would check out the hobby and crafts stores in your area, although bigger hardware stores will also carry brass, coppper and aluminum round stock. I know the aluminum and copper stock can be found at the hobby stores that have r/c model airplane kits and such.

Just to update, i went to the hardware store and bought some 1/16 brass rods. Snipped a section off and peened it in to the hole =]

Back