Argh, stupid relays. need help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Argh, stupid relays. need help.

Ok I have a pair of hella 1000 FF. It has its own relay. What i want to do is wire the hella relay into the foglight relay so it comes on when i press the foglight switch.

Its a 00' ranger which should be pretty much similar. I tried wiring the relay into the #4 relay in the power distribution box which according to the book is the foglight relay. It does say Daytime running lights too but i dont have that. i wired it into 87. Now when i turn on the car the hellas come right on. it dosent matter if the stock foglights are on or not. This is really :banghead: :banghead: and i dont want to have to install a second switch or deal with wiring through the firewall.

Hook up the new wiring harness just like the directions show. Except, the wire that is supposed to go to the switch you will want to splice into the hot fog light wire on your existing fog lights. That way when you turn on your fogs they will trip the new relay and also turn on the Hellas.

Done and done. Thanks!

i'm thinking about buying foglights for my x. this sounds like the way i want to hook my up. so i splice into the positive or hot wire of my factory fogs and just ground the aftermarket fogs to something?

You will have to first get the fogs and see what the directions say. They will probably be similar to teh diagrams in the FAQs at top of this page. Once you understand where & how the lights work it makes it cake.

Back