TT
shackles
bodt lift
33x12.50's
the usual

Snorkel added 07/15/08
IMG_1652.jpg

The future:
Dana 60 front with dedenbear knuckles, alloy USA 35 spline inner and outer shafts, longfield u-joints, detroit locker and 5.38 gears
Dana 60 rear with 5.38 gears and a full spool
IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for both ring and pinions with lockers? hahahahaha $1200 is a good price and will likely go up once they find you need new drums shoes, e brake, etc....

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

no.. just gears. i can do the lockers myself. there powertrax lockers. not full carrier lockers. i dont have drums on my truck. well... unless you count the e-brake. which is shot, but i never use it anyway. i just want my gears done, i can do everything else myself.i even offered to take the axles out if it will bring the price down.

Bring them the rear end out ofthe truck and apart, that will save a ton of $$$$.
Why not have them put the lockers in with the gears while they are in there? It shouldnt effect labor time.

the parking brake is a PITA, the hardware and show kit from Napa is like $80, mine as well do it while you have the rear discs off.

the rear axle isn't the big problem, its the front. the whole thing has to be dropped from the truck before you can work on it, and thats where all the big quotes come from. i can get the axle out and save myself some money. but when i said i'd take the axles out, the guy said it wouldnt affect cost too much(i dont think he realizes what he said). If he'll install the lockers for cheap, then i'll let him do it, but otherwise, i'll have everything open again when i change the fluid at 500 miles, and i'll just install them myself for free. i make good money for 18, but its not that great. stay single man.. its cheaper. gas prices arent helping either. i wanted to get this done during the summer, and its almost winter... grrr. but i refuse to pay a grand to let someone else do it. i'd do it if i had all the tools, but you need special presses and bearing pullers i guess. still waiting on this guys phone call. hopefully i'll get a good deal.

fingers crossed.
Also you are 18 and telling me to stay single? Dont worry I have learned on my own :) hahaha and look! I am single! (none of my friends are, and I personally am 0 for 2 on the wedding rings)

ok well i got a guy that is going to do my gears for 315 an axle. :thumbsup: expensive, but its the cheapest quote i got so far. so its going to cost me 630$, plus i have to rent my mom a car so i can drive hers. la madre said i could get a rental for $20 a day, so thats $40. $670-700 and this will all be over. :thumbsup: once this guy is done with my diffs, i get to bring them home and put lockers in them :thumbsup: , and then I put everything back into my truck. drive around for 500 miles, change fluid to synthetic, and i'm done. :thumbsup: i'll probably extend my breathers somehwere in there too. i'm going to be soooooooo incredibly broke. :thumbdwn: My diffs are going to end up costing me 2k.... :thumbdwn: But i'll be able to accelerate again, and i'll be locked front and rear :thumbsup:

There were more thumbs ups than thumbs down in that paragraph, so thats my plan. So sometime soon, this should all be done. :D :D :D :D :D

i am removing the axles tonight. found a guy that will regear for me, 200 back 250 front. i'll have my axles back possibly friday, no later than saturday. :D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :D :D then the lockers go in and hopefully i'll be able to make a nov. 6th run w/ a local heep club. :usa:

Edit: anyone know the best way to keep differentials from getting all banged up in a pickup bed? and i heard that i dont need the cork seal on my dif cover? but what should i use to seal it?

just wrap them in some towels or a shop blanket...the weight of them should hold them down pretty tight as long as you dont do donughts ;)

silicoln is all I use on the 8.8 metal diff cover, no gasket.

axles are in the shop now.... but i got a letter from the secretary of state. i have a 3 month suspension on my license. :fire:

people at the dmv are idiots. But i should have this all straightened out soon enough. and if not, i can probly get a probationary license during my suspension. ohhh and heres the kicker, after i paid some 250$ or so for all the court supervision, tickets, traffic school for my 2 tickets that were a year apart, the secretary of state is going to charge me $70 to reinstate my license, and i'm sure i'll have to pay for the probationary license too.

seriously though, what was the point of me going to traffic school and being on court supervision if there just going to suspend my license? i guess they just wanted me to think i'd be ok and they'd make a couple extra dollars in the process. this sucks :thumbdwn:

Man, having your license suspended blows. I got a 60 day sentence for 2 nonsense tickets a while back. Worst 2 months of my life.

Sucks man, good luck with it.

awsome truck dude..that sucks..i just got ym first ticket about a month ago..i'm going to traffic shcool on sat..hope my deal works out better..lol

anyway...freaking cool truck!!!!

$450 and the guy installed my gears and my powertraxx. i am now officially locked and regeared. now begins the break in phase. :) :) :)

I thought something was wrong when i backed out of the driveway. its not a good idea to start the powertrax out on a turn. steering locked up and i thought something was severely messed up but it popped and clunked and smoothed itself out. very terrifying first few turns.

I also extended my breathers. not as far as bmxking's, but there alot further up than before. i still need to do my transfer case and tranny? i heard the automatic trans has a breather. so i'll probly just run those next the the front axle. and eventually(as in, someday probly not soon) i'll plug them all into my snorkel that i have yet to plan up.

gears and lockers are broken in, and everything is running well, except..... for my transfer case. i think the clutch is sticking. brown wire mod is doing squat. its like i never put a switch in and the TC has a mind of its own. i rerouted the brown wire switch from beind the drivers side radio bezel to beneath the seat. and then it appeared to not work.... at all. i couldnt get the front to bind up with the locker for the life of me. but we had some rain today and with the switch off, i went around a corner and the tires spun(thanks to my new 4.56 gears :) ) and then BAM(or clunk, i cant remember) and it pulled... my front drive shaft engaged itself. and then on my way home from school the only way i could it to disengage was turn the switch on, and then off and then give it full throttle and feel the back end hop due to the locker giving me traction(sorta, on the semi-wet pavement) and then to my astonishment, it was back in 2wd and i could pull tight turns again and park.

so heres my plan for as soon as it dries up and i have free time. change the TC fluid(dont beleive the last owner ever did) becuase maybe the dirty fluid is causing the clutch to sitck. and recheck allllll my wiring, and solder some connections that i can get the iron into for a secure connection. and then hope for the best because i really need to show these heeps what explorers(with a few modifications) are capable of. they've been trying to talk me out of coming along because "i may get body damage" and "they want everyone to have a good time, and they dont want to be strapping people out", but yet theres a heep on 31's(no lift) and open diffs coming.... ::roll::

they dont wanna "strap people all day?" ahaha make sure you are in front of that heep with open diffs...offer a few tugs when he needs them...im sure he will ;)

yeah, i really dont think i'm going to make this next local run. i have no 4x4. i flushed the transfer case and checked all my wiring. the 4 hi and 4 lo lights come on and it shifts to low, but i have absolutely no front drive. this sucks. its time for a 1354. my only problem is my center console. its kind of in the way, and i kind of want to keep it, but i'll probly just throw it out for the manual t-case

you can mount the linkage and shifters to the side of it, and just cut a small rectangle out of the side of it.

Both dreamr & I had the same problem with the flashing 4 high & 4 low lights after we re-geared. Dreamr fried his GEM & installed a new one & I just ignore mine as i can still go into 4 low then flick the brown wire mod switch & get the front locked & pulling strong. i guess it's just the luck of the draw cause I asked a few other people that did the same thing & they didn't get any problems...

Right now I'm working with Doug at Bama Chips on a bunch of new tunes with different tire sizes and rotation speeds to see if we can fix the problem...My spedo is still off by 7mph on the freeway & that's one of the things that a tune is supposed to fix with the 99+ models...

i dont care about my speedo variation, and i have no flashing lights, the front wont engage. its like the electromagnetic clutch thing-a-majiger isnt working, but yet it will lock itself in randomly when the rear slips, but the rear has to slip ALOT before it engages, and then it engages super hard. i think i'm going to not care about it and install a 1354 and get the shifter to mount besided the console or just rip the console out. the inside of my truck is still really nice and i want to keep it that way, but i wouldnt throw a fit if it matched the outside of the truck.

i'm deciding if i want the shifter on my side of the console or the passenger side. i'm thinking if its on my side i might bump it all the time with my legs. i think i'll check out all my options tomorow. and see if i cant pick one up on friday or saturday. disapoints me that i cant go wheeling this weekend.

as for the regear, my truck seems to love it. my check engine light went off and i appear to be getting awesome city mileage. it just sucks on the highway, but i can live with that.

mynameisaric said:
the 4 hi and 4 lo lights come on and it shifts to low, but i have absolutely no front drive.

Oh, from the above I thought you were talking about them flashing like mine. Dreamr had a problem with the front engaging or the control trac not working so yours might have something to do with the GEM... Changing to the manual transfer case sounds like the best bet anyway, good luck with it.

Let us know where you end up putting the shifter, I was thinking about putting mine in front of the cup holders on the center console like buckshot was talking about in his Atlas thread...

Back