TT
shackles
bodt lift
33x12.50's
the usual

Snorkel added 07/15/08
IMG_1652.jpg

The future:
Dana 60 front with dedenbear knuckles, alloy USA 35 spline inner and outer shafts, longfield u-joints, detroit locker and 5.38 gears
Dana 60 rear with 5.38 gears and a full spool
IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are several places to put the shifters, but the passenger side would not be one of my choices most likely. I would trust myself not to hit it as much as my passenger might. Do your knees ever hit the console now? I dont imagine that they do and the linkage will only add maybe an inch or two to the width in that one spot. Just look down there when you drive and imagine where it wouldnt get hit. The shifter doesnt really need to ba all that easily reachable in an everyday situation. Just put it where it works. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i'm going to figure out where to put this thing in a hurry now. i hope to get this thing in this weekend. called a salvage yard today and he said i could get the TC and linkage, etc. for "a buck fifty". so i'm guessing its a u-pull-it yard. i will be going up there on saturday with my pops and hopefully get this thing in. and if it comes to it, i will worry about the linkage later.

The final push to do this was on my drive home from school, and i got the infamous 4wheel flashing lights. (it didnt do it before, just started today) I'm really hoping to finish this in a day and wheel the truck on sunday :) but i dont know if it will happen.

i need to know where all the bolts are on the t-case. i looked at mine and i could only see a bolt on each side and then 2 on the x-member. is that all its held in by? 4 bolts? i think i'm missing something here. and do i need a gasket of some sort? from what i've read, theres no fluid where they connect, but there still might be a gasket to keep vibration down or something? anyone know? or should i post a new thread? i've tried searching for all this stuff but all the threads talk about how its applicable, but not how to do it. they just say how easy it is.

i say dont worry about the linkage so you can wheel it as soon as possible. Nissanboy runs his with no linkage, he just has to climb under there to shift it. Not bad.

i have a front locker = suckage when turning. maybe in dirt it will be better, but i know when my control trac wouldnt disengage(probly lead to the demise of my tc) parking lots and tight right turns were my worst enemy. but i'll probly do that if i have to. i think i found a spot where i can put the shifter. just go to see how the shifter moves to see if it will fit. i've never used a manual anything before, so this should be a bit different for me.

i thought my transfer case finally just died... and i was kind of happy because i didnt have to worry about it randomly kicking in, but i was wrong. i was going down the interstate at like 60-65 and i punched it(bit of road rage) to get around this car and jump into hammer lane traffic. a guy one car up did the same thing right in front of me so i let off and felt a big ole "thunk" from the driveline, and i figure it was the torque transfer from the rear locker, except afterwards it started pulling like my front was engaged(bad alignment), and when i got off the interstate i confirmed that the front was engaged while going around the first turn. this thing is pissing me off. i need to know if theres someway i can just kill it so i never have to worry about the front engaging. i'm replacing it with a 1354 as soon as i can find one, and i cant get the current one to engage on command anyway so its no good to me. can i just cut some wires or something?

just drop the front driveshaft...temporary fix

wow... thats so simple i feel like an idiot for not thinking of it myself... haha thanks. i'll probly do that tomorow after school. i've never removed it from the transfer case, but i know its pie gettin it off the diff, so it shouldnt be that hard.

photochopin

Well i got bored since its winter and i dont want to work on my truck when it is 7 degrees outside. if i had a bigger garage and a bigger heater it would be a different story. but i decided to photochop. i plan to have this work done by the 10th anniversary run. (maybe not the choptop and cage, but its a possibility(highly unlikely)) but new bumpers, roof rack and sliders are being planned. not pictured is a snorkel. my buddy hydrolocked his ranger at the place i go wheeling, so i think a 80-100$ pvc snorkel is worthwhile insurance. anyway.. dont laugh but heres my plan. i worked hard on this picture, i had to create the front end of the car behind me.
22646photochop.jpg

The parts are green for 2 reasons, 1 is that it is easier to see and 2 is i will probably paint them lime green, just to be obnoxious and make my truck more noticeable. :)
maybe some 35" mud terrains are in line too, but only if the funds allow. transfer case is number 1 on the list currently.

well it will be more noticable, actually doesnt look that bad chop top, like a second gen sport trac

oh i agree. i love the look of second gen chop tops, the only thing that would stop me is the winter season here. i would have to make some kind of removable hard top that i could put on during the winter. and the crime rate around here is bad enough that i couldnt leave my truck outside with no top. so if i can figure out an economically pheasable hard top solution, i'll make it happen.

please, anything buy green!! There is a blazer in town like that.....tackiest thing I have ever seen on the road. Just spray all that stuff in bedliner.

truck looks great. The green........

so do you have any pics of how the shifter is mounted in the cab for your 1354 tc?

no shifter in the cab. i just mounted an automatic 1354, and took the motor off. i smashed the shift motor and got the gear out that has the little triangle piece on it. i shifted enough, that i can just crouch next to the truck and stick my hand under the truck and feel for the shift knob that sticks out. i just put the gear on and turn it by hand. the only bad thing is it wont stay in 4x4hi. since there is no shift motor to hold it in place it will slip out, but it stays in 2hi and 4x4low with no problems. the problem with the automatic 1354 is the shift knob has to turn 270 degrees, so i need some kind of flexible driveshaft to route to the cab. i think that the plan i have now will work and when i can find a 1354 manual for a good price, i will just swap it in. the transfer case swap is super easy. took me no more than an hour by myself.

the reason for me getting an automatic t/c over the manual is price. every junk yard that had the manual wanted 400 bucks, and the ones that only had the automatics were 150. so i have a manual automatic :)

the cheap route.....it might be cheaper to buy the vehicle with the manual 1354 in it :D .

updated slightly. or maybe i'm being a post *****.... you decide

updated slightly. or maybe i'm being a post *****.... you decide
I saw you tried to revive this post, so I fig Id give you a hand. I was checkin out your AutoCADD sketch of your sliders, what program did you use to make it and create the render? I use AutoCADD08LT (unfortunately LT) on a daily basis. I thought that was a great idea to come up with the dims to create the sliders. You made a comment in hear aboout the Badlands eating rocker panels so I want to try and make some before we go in June, but I dont have any exp in welding or the equip. YOu said you made yours, any chance you can help out?

I saw you mention a "brown wire mod" quite a bit, what is it? Also the GEM im lost with.

Sorry for all the questions, you guys are prob starting to think I dont know whit about auto-mechanics. Ive been tinkerin with cars for about ten years, but all I used to drive is Mustangs with balls of steel. Rebuilding motors, installing blowers and breaking titanium shifters....ha childs play....building a off road machine, Id have better odds if I was blind. I can build it just dont know what to build.......lol......sorry for the length of the message.

I saw you tried to revive this post, so I fig Id give you a hand. I was checkin out your AutoCADD sketch of your sliders, what program did you use to make it and create the render? I use AutoCADD08LT (unfortunately LT) on a daily basis. I thought that was a great idea to come up with the dims to create the sliders. You made a comment in hear aboout the Badlands eating rocker panels so I want to try and make some before we go in June, but I dont have any exp in welding or the equip. YOu said you made yours, any chance you can help out?

I saw you mention a "brown wire mod" quite a bit, what is it? Also the GEM im lost with.

Sorry for all the questions, you guys are prob starting to think I dont know whit about auto-mechanics. Ive been tinkerin with cars for about ten years, but all I used to drive is Mustangs with balls of steel. Rebuilding motors, installing blowers and breaking titanium shifters....ha childs play....building a off road machine, Id have better odds if I was blind. I can build it just dont know what to build.......lol......sorry for the length of the message.

i used microstation. not a fan of it, but i had a free version of it for a while, so i played around with it. i actually made completely different sliders though. i have not mounted them yet. they are sitting in my garage collecting rust. i like autocad for 2d stuff and dimensioning and all, but i started using solidworks and i love it. its an awesome program. I'm a machinist though, so i don't use CAD software at work.

once i get my sliders done, i'll let you know how comfortable i feel working on someone else's truck. i've been to the badlands once and i obviously didnt have sliders. both lockers were working and i was able to do some pretty tough stuff, and i only smashed my rocker panel once and it wasnt that bad. if you don't get sliders in time, i wouldn't worry about it.

the brown wire mod applies to explorers with the automatic 4x4 cases. an 01 sport should have selectable (2wd, 4hi and 4 lo). essentially you cut the brown wire and put in a switch so that you can have 2wd because automatic 4wd+front locker+dry pavement = ALOT of busted CV shafts.

we were all noobs to this stuff at one point( i still am) so don't worry about the questions, i'm glad to help.

Back