Arizona: Need to get out for the weekend? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Arizona: Need to get out for the weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FR-425

Used to be a road here.
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Calling all Arizona EF members!

Need to get a weekend on the trail?

Here's the "plan"

The red route will put water in your bearings!

This outing should present some challenge for 2" lift on 32's. That's what I'm running and that's the whole point, yes?

Since present the condition of the FR-425 section is unknown, stock trucks may have to turn back at some point. (That goes for me too)

This is a gorgeous area of our state, I have not visited this area for over 20 years and have not Explored it enough for sure.

Thinking March 15-16

The Trail head is at the Four Peaks OHV park, 15 minutes west of Fountain hills on HWY 87 (on the way to Payson from east phoenix)

LAST GAS: Fort McDowell Rd. Just east of Fountain Hills.

DayTripnotes_zps88968546.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in California but my brother lives in Phoenix/Glendale. I'm open for a trip

Ah...NOW I see what your name means!

Looks like that trail goes from bottom to top of that mountain, any idea what the elevation gain is?
I bet it's beautiful country, but I can't make it there. My rout would involve a little more than 20" of water. ;)
This trip does have tbars' name all over it, though.

Right! "Forest Road 425"

Four peaks OHV park at the Trail head is 2400ft

Top of Four peaks is 6200ft,

3000ft at Tonto Creek,

The FR-425 road climbs from 3000 to 7000 in 15 miles of trail. So it's a 5% average grade.

With some 30% stuff mixed in.

This trip does have tbars' name all over it, though.

..Funny You should say that...I will be wheeling thru part of Az. the week before on the way to the Mint 400.. We will be wheeling during the week and was trying to get Crown King in but that may be to far out of the way this trip..:(

..Calling out a town or known place to meet at for this trip might help in gathering more interested people as Arizona is pretty big..I had to google it to see where you were talking about..:D

The Red route goes down stream in a gargantuan wash (cherry Creek) with heavy snow melt water this time of year.

Dozens of water crossings and some challenging river rock piles, mud, sand, yipee!

Go ahead and purchase new wheel bearings before this trip.

Good point T-Bars.

I added more info to the OP

T-Bars

You one of the guys meet'n up with Rick the week of March 10th?

I may run that with you guys as well, should be a hard earned week for "Kitrinos" if I go out with you all and then hit this run on the weekend.

Ummm...That would be Member "Spender"..;)

ep0076-300x158.jpg

I'm in California but my brother lives in Phoenix/Glendale. I'm open for a trip

Bring it!

Didn't you say you were planning a trip out this way soon for some bone yard pick'n?

I was out there last weekend. Might go back this coming weekend to catch a Dodger game at Camelback on Sunday

Mint 400, Shoot that's where everyone is headed!

Bad week to try a trip.

Well may be I'll still get some bites.

If not I'll head up there myself. (to the mint 400 that is)

I was out there last weekend. Might go back this coming weekend to catch a Dodger game at Camelback on Sunday

You could do the 60 mile half on Saturday, then head north to Young for gas and hit the highway back to town, About 1.5 hours from Young back to Phoenix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back