Armrest Pads

swhite005

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4 EB

Apparently it's very common for the armrest pads on the doors of Explorers to wear away and eventually break. FORD discontinued making them (probably because they break) and I haven't seen any on Ebay. Someone mentioned that a company might make a kit to replace them. Is anyone aware of where to get them? I need the driver and passenger door (I only have two doors.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw a ton of them on Ebay. I'm really screwed because I ahve manual locks and windows and the armrests are specific. The PO of my X made replacements out of wood. They don't look that bad.

I made replacements out of walnut wood using the factory ones as a pattern. They look pretty good. I'll have to get some pictures of them.

I ended up buying some hardening putty from Autozone. I removed the rotted and broken liner inside the armrest so that it was a hollow shell. I poured the putty into the armrest and let it harden. I then dremeled the putty so that the armrest fit on the door again. I used short screws to attach the pad to the door through the factory holes in the door. Yeah, I know, GHETTO...oh well, it worked for now. I'm still looking for a repair or replacement kit so if anyone see's one or is parting out their explorer, let me know! Thanks.

I made replacements out of walnut wood using the factory ones as a pattern. They look pretty good. I'll have to get some pictures of them.

It`s been 4 years. How about those pics Bri?

Thanks, that's not bad, I might have to go ahead and try that, I`ve been looking literally for years to replace my rear driver's side.

:thumbsup:

Back