• Register Today It's free!

Armrest Replacement Question

randomdude84

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
99FordExplorerXLS4.0L OHV
Hey guys, 99 Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV XLS needs a new armrest from the center console. I am not sure if the armrest itself will come with everything I need so I figured Id ask you guys in case theres something else i will need to order. I called ford but they said there is a bunch of parts listed on what they have in the computer.
I am going to go to a junkyard here in Chicago tomorrow. They said they have a ton of 99 explorers so its worth a shot. i know there is some on eBay too but like i said, I'm just not sure what all i need. I've never replaced one before.

Basically I broke it off from putting too much pressure on it. Heres the pics of the center console so you guys can see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this type of console's armrest breaks easily. I've seem replacements on-line, they are quite expensive and no stronger than the original armrest. The replacements do not include the foam or covering. I think you'd be better off going to the salvage yard and finding the full type of console. the armrest material and foam us usually trashed, but is easily and inexpensively repaired.

below is a photo of what I've referring to. look for one with the front cubby, rather than the driver's information center.

109_0023.jpg

Attachments

• 111_0399.jpg
    111_0399.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 176

this type of console's armrest breaks easily. I've seem replacements online, they are quite expensive and no stronger than the original armrest. I think you'd be better off going to the salvage yard and finding the full type of console. the armrest material and foam us usually trashed, but is easily and inexpensively repaired.

Do the armrest come with the connection to the console or is that separate? I know the underside of the armrest is plastic but I'm not sure if that connection is on it for the console?

Do the armrest come with the connection to the console or is that separate? I know the underside of the armrest is plastic but I'm not sure if that connection is on it for the console?

there are metal mounting plates that you will also need to remove from the donor vehicle. I added a picture to my original response.

i'm not sure what pieces the short-console replacement armrest comes with.

there are metal mounting plates that you will also need to remove from the donor vehicle. I added a picture to my original response.

i'm not sure what pieces the short-console replacement armrest comes with.

Im not sure what you mean by finding one with the front cubby? I want to just replace it with what was there before. I found one on eBay that comes with the hinge but its 80 bucks and Im not sure if it will even work with my console. By looking at my picture I'm not sure how it would attach.

Im gonna try the junkyard tomorrow but if I can't find one Im just gonna order the one i see online. Here is a link to the eBay posting.

My 99 Sport and 01 Sport Trac console arms broke just like that. I discovered quite by accident that the hinged arm rest unit on the Explorers going back to the mid 90's would drop right in to the existing console. I removed the plastic plugs at the back and took out the 4 bolts. The hinged part will then lift out. I took the hinged part to the junk yard and found that many different year Explorers have that same hinge design with the same bolt pattern. It may be my imagination but the older ones seemed more solid. I grabbed two more while I was there in case this happened again. I recommend taking the hinge with you to the junk yard and you can see how they match up. Don't limit yourself to just looking at 99s. All you need is something thin to carefully pry off the plastic plugs and a metric socket. I grabbed a few fuzzy grey material ones and old vinyl one that had a place for kleenex. They all were compatible with my 99 and 01 models.

My 99 Sport and 01 Sport Trac console arm broke just like that. I discovered quite by accident that the arm rest unit on the Explorers going back to the mid 90's would drop right in to the existing console. I removed the plastic plugs at the back and took out the 4 bolts. The hinged part will then lift out. I took the hinged part to the junk yard and found that many different year Explorers have that same hinge design with the same bolt pattern. It may be my imagination but the older ones seemed more solid. I grabbed two more while I was there in case this happened again. I recommend taking the hinge with you to the junk yard and you can see how they match up. Don't limit yourself to just looking at 99s. All you need is something thin to carefully pry off the plastic plugs and a metric socket.

i have to really take a look at what i have, i don't even understand how it works so i need to figure that out before i purchase something.

i have to really take a look at what i have, i don't even understand how it works so i need to figure that out before i purchase something.

I know how you feel. It is confusing at first. In your posted picture do you see where the oval plugs are on the back on the sides? Just carefully pry those out. You will see 2 bolts on each side. Unscrew those and you will be able to pull out the hinge. The arm and hinge unit are one piece.

I know how you feel. It is confusing at first. In your posted picture do you see where the oval plugs are on the back on the sides? Just carefully pry those out. You will see 2 bolts on each side. Unscrew those and you will be able to pull out the hinge. The arm and hinge unit are one piece.

ok im gonna give that a try. did you look at the link i sent from eBay. take a look at that and see if you can tell if that would work with me.

ok im gonna give that a try. did you look at the link i sent from eBay. take a look at that and see if you can tell if that would work with me.
The ebay one does not appear in the photos to have the part that mounts to the console. You would have to contact the ebay seller to see how the arm rest connects to the hinge. I only bought the complete assemblies at the junkyards so I do not know how the arm connect to the hinge. swshawaii's first link shows the 4 screws that I am talking about. If you buy one with the lower part already attached it is a very simple job.

Back