Arrrg... EATC Blend Door actuator crapped out (on COLD of course) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Arrrg... EATC Blend Door actuator crapped out (on COLD of course)

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Last week it never really got out of the 20's in GA. I was very thankful to have had heat in my '01 Expl. Today it's in the 60's and I didn't need heat and just wanted outside air, so I turned my EATC down to 60 degrees. It closed the blend door and started clicking (typically means stripped gear(s) in the blend door actuator). I need an EATC compatible blend door actuator for my '01 Explorer EB. Can anyone suggest a good place to get one from, eBay searches are confusing on this part. I want to fix this before it get cold out again.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some people have had trouble with the Dorman. I didn’t. Just getting the screw in the back out.
Got mine from Amazon.

6778F969-32AA-408C-98F2-131EA634AEC3.png

Some people have had trouble with the Dorman. I didn’t. Just getting the screw in the back out.
Got mine from Amazon.

View attachment 153846

Oh I know all about that rear screw. I even made a special tool to get it out. I don't like Dorman (unless there's no other choice), but thanks.

And this Dorman part works with the automatic HVAC controls?

Anyone know of an OE source?

This one on PartsGeek looks like it may be the one. I'll have to compare the part numbers, but it looks the same, says it will work w/EATC and it's OE Motorcraft.

Motorcraft Air Flap Actuator
motorcraft.gif
1308375.gif
Click to Enlarge

(Read reviews)
Our List Price:$38.33

Quantity:
(3) In Stock
Part Number: 5263-05241519
Notes: HVAC Heater Blend Door Actuator -- With Auto Temperature Control
Condition: New

Shipping Options:
Ground

This Product Fits the Following: Catalog: B
Vehicle
2001 Ford Explorer

Yeah kinda wish I would have gotten that one when I ordered mine now that I see the price is the same.... oh welll

Yeah kinda wish I would have gotten that one when I ordered mine now that I see the price is the same.... oh welll

Well as long is your Dorman part is working, that's good enough. I hope to remove my old actuator tomorrow and take it apart to see if I find a stripped gear. I sure don't want to find a broken blend door. I have several old broken (manual and automatic) blend door actuators somewhere in my garage. If I'm lucky maybe a can salvage a good set of gears. If not I think I'll be ordering the Motorcraft as long as the part numbers match.

It figures something new would break. I just got my Sport Trac back on the road yesterday afternoon (radiator).

Okay, I got the old blend door actuator out and took it apart (the rear mounting screw was a major PITA, as usual, and after it came out I dropped it behind the heater box (not the first time this has happened either)). Loosing the rear screw doesn't bother me, because there is no way in hell I'm ever putting it back in there.

I took the actuator apart and found what I expected to find. Small nylon transmission gear was missing several teeth. I checked my other broken actuators and they all died the same way, so no salvage repair possible.

I removed the large plastic crescent-shaped gear from my old actuator, removed the metal "feather spring", drilled a small hole in the front corner of the gear and made a pull handle from a piece of bailing wire. Pulling the gear toward the interior opens the blend door and pushing it away closes it. Open you get heat and closed you don't. The pull wire needs to be wrapped around something to hold the blend door in place, or the blower fan will move the door around. So, for now I have heat and I'm happy (more arctic air is expected for next week).

The Motorcraft actuator I liked (pictured in post #5 of this thread) does not have the same part number as mine (mine shows F87H-19E616-AB ATC and the picture in post #5 F87H-10E694-AB ATC) and the mounting holes are not the same. This actuator does say it will work in a 2001 Explorer w/automatic HVAC controls and while the exterior case of the actuator is a little different, it looks like it has pins that would go into where the screw holes are in my old actuator. I don't know if I can make this work and I don't want to take the chance ordering this part. I've searched the internet for my exact part number and I've found nothing, so I may be stuck having to buy the Dorman part. For now, both my EATC equipped vehicles are working with my baling wire fix. I just open the blend door for the winter months and close it for the summer. I'm even considering buying a universal push/pull choke cable to mount in/under the dash so I can control the crescent gear manually. Actually that sounds like a pretty good idea to me and would only cost me $10-$14 (see pics below). I'm not a fan of automatic controls anyway. Redneck fix? Yes.

Basic cable for $10:
s-l500.jpg

or this one with lots of hardware to make installation easier for $14:
81UeXrrLjuL._SL1500_.jpg

Back