ASMI Intake System Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ASMI Intake System Install

I've been wanting to do the Cold-Air Induction System for awhile, but never could handle the $180+ cost for some of the systems out there. Well, I decided to check out a system that an ebay company makes. ASMI Technology in Motor Sports from California is the company that I tried and they specialize in Explorer/Ranger intakes. They have a good amount of auctions online that you can purchase the system from $100-150 shipped (depending on your application).

What Comes In The Kit:

AIS-73 Kit

64_1_b.jpg

1) Red or Blue Cone Air Filter
2) Intake Pipe (be sure to check for breather hose holes)
3) MAF Adapter including bolts
4) Two (2) Rubber Clamps
5) Five (5) Metal Hose Clamps
6) Support Bracket
7) MAF Gasket
8) Crappy Instructions

How To Install:

Installing of this kit wasn't as easy as I thought it would. The Rubber clamps were a little hard to get over the things they needed to get over. You basically disconnect the old factory intake system and throw it aside. The bottom half of the intake system pulls up from the bottom and then out from the fender. There is a bracket underneath the box, so be sure to pry on the box and not the bracket.

After getting rid of the old system, I pre-assembled it all outside of the vehicle. I would recommend this. Be sure that all clamps are tight and everything is positioned correctly. Bolt up everything as it should.

Tip:

I would use it as a dry filter. I have heard many stories of people over-oiling and messing up their MAFS. Cleaning and Drying of a filter takes time and should not be rushed.

Also, do not rush installation. Take your time and make it look decent. I didn't take my time (I just wanted to get it together and worry about it when I had time).

Disconnect your battery for 15 mins and reconnect and driving a few times at WOT (Wide-Open Throttle) so that your computer can relearn for the additional induction the engine is recieving.

What It'll Look Like Installed:

I do like the looks of the chrome and blue.

BEFORE:

464729_93_full.jpg

AFTER:

464729_141_full.jpg

464729_140_full.jpg

I need to clean up my engine bay a little.

Results:

So far the only results is the sound from under the hood. I expect a see a little gain in power (but not much) and also a little extra MPG. Nothing really great, but atleast a helper for over time.

Contact Info:

ASMI, Technology In Motor Sports:
www.autospeedstore.com
eBay Store
asmi@autospeedstore.com
(562) 498-4909
3304 Industry Drive
Signal Hill, CA 90755

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm you need a supercharger you street queen

Thats the same intake I had on mine. Got it eBay for $80. Good write up though.

boominXplorer said:
hmmm you need a supercharger

I'd take one too. But I think I'm going to hold off. When I sell my Explorer (which may be by next summer), I will be purchasing my first car ('92 Jeep Cherokee XJ) back from my father and that'll be my next project.

-Drew

that thing looks great and especially since you can find them for around 100 bucks. i didnt want to shell out 200+ for a K&N filter charger system

The K&N filters actually come already pre-oiled. That is kind of a bummer too.

-Drew

Back