ASSES | Page 4 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

ASSES

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
Originally posted by Stephen
I very rarely say this, but I suppose you'll understand when you're older.

God knows I did a lot of stupid shit when I was your age, it landed me in jail, and without a drivers license.

i am somewhat in this boat now, that is why i drive a lot differently now... i may play with another jerk driver, but for the most part, don't anymore..... it isnt worth killing myself trying to compensate for some other jerk in his car.... i have learned a lot from being stupid, will i be stupid again, i am human, and i know i will, but at least i know that i can try and not be as stupid as i used to be..... a close friend of mine told me about his life, and it sounded much like mine, except much harsher, but still car related.... it was him, who made me realize, it isnt just me or the idiot i kill on the road.... but it is our families and friends as well.... by us not in their lives anymore, we will severly impact them...... i still speed a little bit, but dont drive wrecklessly like i used too....

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

diablo5969

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Versailles, KY (Home) Poughkeepsie, NY (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Honda Pilot LX
You guys think New York drivers are bad, try driving in an Atlanta rushhour.

Anyway, I totally agree with what Stephen has been saying. I am also a fast driver, and am normally going above the speed limit on the highway. And, like Stephen said, if there's someone in the fast lane, I would much rather just pull around them. I really try hard not to piss people off. I've been the victim of one bad roadrage incident and I've witnessed another, and I really don't want it to happen again.

I'm like that in life, I'd much rather just avoid a problem than cause a problem.

However, if I'm driving on a road that isn't a highway, it's a little different. Again, I normally drive over the speed limit, and if I come up to someone going slower than me, I will slow down to their speed to see what it is. If they're going the speed limit, I don't do anything, because legally they're still right. However, if they're going under the limit, I will flash them.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
Sharing ideas and discussing them are the very point of this forum, as long as they're none in a civil manner.

hehe.... i think stephen made a typo.... or maybe he meant "they're none in a civil manner" :)

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
I make typos too ya know. If ya ***** me, do I not bleed? ;)

My personal best was the night after my wife accepted (with a lot of convincing) my marriage proposal. I was meeting her at a bar in Silver Spring where we were good friends with the owner. It was about 12:30AM and I was coming off dinner with a customer. Back then, I drove a 280Z, and man it was a blast. I'm sitting at this red light on Georgia Ave, and this 260Z comes up next to me and wants to race. Well, in those days I never turned down a challenge, so I agreed, and we took off. As we're charging down the road, a cop pulls out and busts us both. I had to call my new fiancee and ask her to come bail me out of jail.

At least I won the race ;)

Expo, I agree, that guy was VERY annoying, and he shouldn't have been doing that, but what did you really teach him? You blinded him and he ran off the road, what if he were hurt or killed, how would that make you feel.

You're not going to convince me that being a vigillante does anything but stroke one's ego. So you're probably right, this is pointless.

You'll learn though, like I did, and like Jim did. I'm just trying to offer my experience and judgement in the matter to give you an opportunity to learn from my mistakes before you make them yourself.

I guess sometimes you gotta be bit before you learn.

Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Oh and the ***** was the word "pr!ck", didnt want anyone to think I was a pervert or something...

I wonder why that was beeped out?

I find it funny that so many people are saying how bad and irresponsible it is to get mad at someone in traffic and do something that is "dangerous." I do not know anyone who is innocent on all counts and neither do any of you. Stop being such sissies.

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
I don't know why it was beeped out either. I suppose for the not so friendly way the word can be used.

Oh no, I'm not innocent of getting angry on the road, but experience has taught me that getting angry at trying to "get back at people" for their driving wrongdoings is pointless.

Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I don't know why it was beeped out either. I suppose for the not so friendly way the word can be used.

Oh no, I'm not innocent of getting angry on the road, but experience has taught me that getting angry at trying to "get back at people" for their driving wrongdoings is pointless.

No worries Stephen, I wasn't refering to you. From what you say I suspect that your driving style is very similar to mine.

Thorny

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA/ Athens, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Originally posted by diablo5969
You guys think New York drivers are bad, try driving in an Atlanta rushhour.

Yeah, if you can survive I-285 at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon, you can drive any road ANYWHERE.

diablo5969

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Honda Pilot LX
Originally posted by Thorny
Yeah, if you can survive I-285 at 5:00 on a Friday afternoon, you can drive any road ANYWHERE.

Try Buckhead on a Friday night during Freaknik :eek:

But yeah, if you can drive 285, you can drive anything.

And personally, I think that when people come to Atlanta, they should have to be in the city for at least a week before they're allowed to drive. They need to be here a while to see how to drive in this city. People here drive like nowhere else, and it's always the out-of-towners who don't fit in :D

dogfriend

Human-Animal Hybrid
Reaction score
City, State
Carmichael, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4
I very rarely say this, but I suppose you'll understand when you're older.

I am older, and I agree with this.

When you first start driving, you think that you are a much better driver than you actually are. You also tend to believe that you can't be killed, and you don't dwell too much on the fact that you could potentially kill someone else. Therefore, you tend to drive in a manner that fits within these beliefs, taking more risks and sometimes using poor judgement.

If you are fortunate enough to survive, eventually you start to realize that you could actually be killed or kill someone else, either because you have been in a serious accident or you have friends who have been killed in accidents (if you make it to 30, you will have high school classmates who are killed in car accidents, trust me) or in the very least you have witnessed the effects of some of these accidents.

You still get pissed off at people that cut you off in traffic, drive like asses, etc. but you now start to realize that it really isn't worth the potential damage to your vehicle and your health, the visits to the body shop etc. just to get some self-important retribution against some idiot who won't understand the context of your message anyway.

The realization that I have now is that although I am a pretty good driver and use good judgement most of the time, every so often I still make a mistake in judgement or perception that could cause an accident. Not to mention the other people out there who are also accidentally or intentionally doing things that may cause an accident. My goal these days is to try to make sure (best as I can) that the mistake (whether mine or someone else's) isn't the one that ends my life or someone else's.

(this is a pretty good post for number 1100, don't you think?)

Thorny

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA/ Athens, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Originally posted by aldive
Ever been yo LA?

That might be the one place worse than Atlanta. But the two are almost equally as bad. The suburbs of Atlanta are where the heaviest of the traffic is.

redShift

Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Im still young and anxious to get back at people who have angered me on the road, so high beams work well as well as following them and whaling on the horn as soon as they slow down to about a stop, like when theyre at a stop sign just let em have it.

Haha, I did that once to this biotch who didnt yield correctly then cut me off after that, and she got out of her chevy astro at a stop sign and walked back towards my truck. I put it in reverse and drove just fast enough so that she couldnt quite reach me, but that she still thought she could have a chance. She did that for about 10 seconds then flicked me off and started walking back. I drove along behind her at her speed testing out all the combos of lights I could come up with :D

The guys I had with me in the car and I didnt stop laughing for the next hour or so.

But yeah, most times it isnt worth getting too upset over. If I dont have any passengers and I have the music as loud as it can go, Im generally mellow about most things.

offroader_69_me

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Trinidad, Crawlorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Well this thread kinda blew up, lol. Well I have learned alot of patience and extreme care when driving since the birth of my son, I am much more careful and much less to react to some idiots actions. However tempers flare and no one is perfect as mentioned before! Just everyone drive smart, drive safe and be careful. It is like my parents have always said, it is not you we are worried about but all the other nuts out there!

diablo5969

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Honda Pilot LX
Ever been yo LA?

Atlanta traffic is worse than LA. At least, statistically, Atlanta is worse. I have never actually had the, ahem, pleasure of driving in LA

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Originally posted by diablo5969
Atlanta traffic is worse than LA. At least, statistically, Atlanta is worse. I have never actually had the, ahem, pleasure of driving in LA

I grew up in the Atlanta area and know the traffic well; I visit there often nowdays and ghave to drive in the crap, butm LA is worse in my opinion. Heck, Miami, is getting there too. Thank God for small towns USA.

diablo5969

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Honda Pilot LX
I grew up in the Atlanta area and know the traffic well; I visit there often nowdays and ghave to drive in the crap, butm LA is worse in my opinion.

The population explosion in Atlanta is happening so quickly that the traffic patterns now are totally different than 5 years ago, let alone when you grew up. (Note: that is not meant to be degrading or anything, I'm just saying.)

According to the NHTSA, the average Atlantan sits in traffic for 57 hours a year, while the average is only like 53 in LA. But, as I said, I've never driven there.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
It really doesn't matter which is worse' both sux to the max.

It is beyond my comprenhension why anyone would live in either place.

Our traffic doubles ( here in Sarasota, FL ) during the winter months due toi our Northern visitors.