At what mileage did your fuel pump die | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

At what mileage did your fuel pump die

Littleant

Reaction score
City, State
Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer 4.0
Hi Guys. Have 73,000 miles on my 2010 Mountaineer. Just wondering how many miles you had when the pump quit. Planing a trip in October about 7,000 miles. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats kinda an odd question. Mine hasent failed or showed any signs of it yet at 148k miles. I dont think you should be worried. Some people have way more miles than I do and are still running the original pump.

Thanks for the reply RcFlyer. Years ago 1960-1970 you could carry a spare fuel pump and more in the trunk and fix vehicle on the side of the road.
Not so much with these new vehicles with all the computers and electronics on them. :chug:

Yeah fuel pumps don't fail that often and they can be a pain to change now. But as long as every thing is running good youbshould have no problems. I would be more concerned with brakes and tire wear and wheel bearings at 73k. I wouldn't even consider that high milage yet.

I hear you RcFlyer It's been a great running vehicle. Never seen a winter summer vehicle only. Did all the brakes-rotors-caliipers and brackets. New tires. Darn near showroom condition (knock on wood)

Rent or borrow a fuel pressure tester, test the fuel pressure and fuel flow rate by timing how long it takes to fill a vessel of known volume. Not hard to do and there is plenty of info available on the topic. At least you can feel confident that there are no internal leaks, and the motor is running properly.

Around 130k.

Got lucky though. Died less than a 1/4 mile from my house. No signs of trouble before failing

Mine is still good at 289k miles. Every year I am so tempted to replace it as a precaution, has not gotten to it yet. Always some other priorities come up around the house.

289k miles. I'll take half of that Explorer PL. Thanks for the input guys.

I only replaced mine b/c I bought it from a guy that parked it in a wooded lot for 4 years, and the mice chewed through the wiring to the nub. I went in through the passenger rear floor (cut a flap) and replaced with a Delphi unit 4 years ago and no worries.

My 09 with 122K just threw a fuel pressure rail sensor alert. Guy at the shop said it could be the sensor, or the fuel pump. Im thinking it may be best to change them both? The sensor is a lot easier if thats it. Truck has been getting a little hard to start lately, so it may be the pump.

My 09 with 122K just threw a fuel pressure rail sensor alert. Guy at the shop said it could be the sensor, or the fuel pump. Im thinking it may be best to change them both? The sensor is a lot easier if thats it. Truck has been getting a little hard to start lately, so it may be the pump.

If it was my truck I wouldn't throw parts at it I would diagnose it and replace only the parts needed. If you have a scanner with live data and can read the fuel rail pressure sensor at idle ~30 psi and should rise with rpm. Then test the actual fuel rail pressure using a gauge the numbers should match if one doesn't then there's your problem.

I dont have the scanner. I appreciate the advise though. I ask my tech buddy to check it for me using your numbers. Thanks!

When was the fuel filter last changed?

Back