ATF .. Crankcase or the fuel tank? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF .. Crankcase or the fuel tank?

Ford-O-holic

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have read a bit on this and am getting a little confused. What does it do and do you add it to the fuel tank and crankcase? How much do you add? Also if you added it to yor fuel wouldnt it smoke like crazy? Thanks. The new explorer on the block.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normally you add it to the fuel. It is supposed to help clean and lubercate the top end (valve train). Personally I don't think it is worth your time. If you feel you need to do this go to your local parts store and get something that is designed for this purpose.

Thanks Mike, What you say makes perfect sense to me.

When u add it to ur fuel it wont lubricate ur lifters. It only will go through the fuel system. Fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel rail, and fuel injectors. It will help clean these and it does cost a lot less then injector cleaner. Right before ur gonna do an oil change u can put some atf in the crankcase and run it for a little bit then change the oil.

-Chav

I have done both, and both have helped a bit. I believe it cleans some of the carbon deposits throughout the system. Half a quart is sufficient, although I have used a full quart in both.

Back