ATF fluid moving to engine oil pan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF fluid moving to engine oil pan

jlw1941

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
92 Explorer. Loses ATF at rate of 1qt per 500 miles. No visible leaks. Engine oil shows overfull by the amount of lost ATF. Believe it is being sucked thru vacuum modulator into intake manifold. No smoking. Can't figure how it is getting from manifold to oil pan. Anyone know what is happening here ?

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats not very good for the oil after a while, at first, its like a detergent, but after a while, the ATF will make the engine not happy i believe.

no clue what could be causing it.

That would be a bad transmission vacuum modulator. From there it travels through the vacuum system, through the PCV valve and into the block. There are many threads about it on here if you do a search.

Thanks ... Yes, I know the modulator is bad/leaking. I have searched many threads on many forums and very few will acknowledge that the ATF can make it into the engine oil ... most insist that the ATF is burned in combustion. You are the first to mention the PCV as the missing link in the circuit. Looking at the location of the PCV connection to the mainifold I believe that the ATF is, in fact, entering the engine oil via the PCV.

Thanks again..

you can pull the pcv hose and see if theres evidence of transmission fluid in it.

Back