Raph X.

Reaction score
City, State
SACRAMENTO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, explorer sport.
Quick guys is mercon lv a compatible fluid for a 2001 ex sport

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are absolutely not compatible in the transmission.

Go with Mercon V.
They didnt have any in stock at the nearest auto parts store the cashier after i asked if it was compatible he searched and said yea. But i know my history with them so i asked for receipt and created this post.

Is there and alternative or just motorcraft? @Mbrooks420

They didnt have any in stock at the nearest auto parts store the cashier after i asked if it was compatible he searched and said yea. But i know my history with them so i asked for receipt and created this post.

Is there and alternative or just motorcraft? @Mbrooks420
Mercon V is still VERY readily available, including at Walmart. Made by many manufacturers. I would t give that store any more business.

The only place you could put the LV would be in your transfer case.

Mercon V is still VERY readily available, including at Walmart. Made by many manufacturers. I would t give that store any more business.

The only place you could put the LV would be in your transfer case.
I would check first if You plan on using LV in your vehicle. I would uses, motor craft transfer case fluid first. If you go to rockauto, AutoZone or advance; put in your model and year. Search for fluid for car. It will list what available for your EX.
Is there an alternative or just motorcraft? Yes, I called the manufacturer and ask. The phone number is on the bottle. Just check for your EX, used Mercon V. I have ordered it from Amazon, 6 Qt Box. Lowest price

Valvoline says its ATF /Mercon V fluid is applicable.
Valvoline™ ATF for MERCON® V Applications : Product Catalog - Valvoline™ Who here has used it and what results?

The Valvoline is a great brand, one of the few most popular. I see it at Walmart and Amazon for $5.47 a quart.

The older Fords(90's etc) shouldn't be using any ATF past the Mercon V, those newer fluids are made for different clutch materials etc. They will cause slippage in older model transmissions and TC's. Even the Mercon V is not for the TC's anymore, they learned that after many years. So the transfer case is a different subject, those all need a proper TC fluid(but the old Mercon I is still appropriate).

I would check first if You plan on using LV in your vehicle. I would uses, motor craft transfer case fluid first. If you go to rockauto, AutoZone or advance; put in your model and year. Search for fluid for car. It will list what available for your EX.
Is there an alternative or just motorcraft? Yes, I called the manufacturer and ask. The phone number is on the bottle. Just check for your EX, used Mercon V. I have ordered it from Amazon, 6 Qt Box. Lowest price
Directly from Ford. Specifically says LV can be used in all their transfer cases.
  • Motorcraft MERCON LV is manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures and guards against transmission shudder. This fluid has excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability and good low temperature fluidity. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also prevents against rust and corrosion. It is dyed red for ease of leak detection
  • For use in all transfer cases
I wouldn’t just trust what RockAuto says is for my vehicle. I’d probably use a Mercon/DextronIII like it came from the factory with, most likely.

Ditto, and Valvoline makes a transfer case fluid also. That one is about the same cost as other ATF, $6-$8 or so, unlike some Ford had just for the TC, at $25 per quart. I got it from Amazon, a case of six for about $36 two years ago.

Thank you guys ill be returning this bottle and try my luck elsewhere. The slipping is getting more noticeable so i gota move. And buxter thanks for that chart thats what i couldnt find on the website.

@CDW6212R @Mbrooks420 @joney @BUXTER

XT10QLVC Motorcraft OE Mercon LV Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart, 2003.5-2020 Ford 6.0L 6.4L 6.7L Powerstroke​

SKU:
XT10QLVC​
XT10QLVC Motorcraft OE Mercon LV Automatic Transmission Fluid, 1 Quart.
For 2003.5, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Ford 6.0L 6.4L 6.7L Powerstroke​

They obviously didn’t make a fluid specifically for the power stroke.

They obviously didn’t make a fluid specifically for the power stroke.
This what vehicle requires

IMG_20220123_163040.jpg

I understand what fluid it’s supposed to have…

Back