ATF Mercon LV for Power Steering? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF Mercon LV for Power Steering?

Snakehn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, im looking to flush the power steering fluid and the procedure seems simple, as for the fluid i went to a local Autozone and they gave me a bottle of Valvoline Synthetic ATF Mercon LV, as the user manual just calls for Mercon, is this ok to use?

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you, what about standard Valvoline power steering fluid?

Hasn't regular Mercon ATF been dropped and the replacement for it is Mercon V? Use a Mercon V equivalent and you will be fine.

Hasn't regular Mercon ATF been dropped and the replacement for it is Mercon V? Use a Mercon V equivalent and you will be fine.

i couldn't find any Mercon V ATF at the store so just picked a Valvoline Max Life power steering fluid, i'm assuming it will be ok?

Yes I found other threads discussing the same and not a straight answer, I didn't want to create another debate, but the owner's manual call for ATF mercon and I couldnt find any at the store, yet they had plenty of standard power steering fluid, doesn't make sense if you can't use power steering fluid in your power steering system.

Surprised your store doesn't stock Valvoline Mercon V. I'd be inclined to follow what Ford recommends, they are
very specific, and use different additives for their own Motorcraft fluids. IIRC, Mercon V contains a friction modifier.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/c...sion-products/automatic-transmission-fluid/35

well, took a drive to another store and they found 1 bottle of Mercon V left, said they don't sell it anymore, and that one was a return that they had sitting by the register.

i wanted another couple of bottles to do a full flush, ill just have to settle with that one for now.

thank you for the help.

If you have a NAPA in your area that is where you should be able to get it. I believe that they keep the Valvoline brand stocked on the shelves, at least they do here.

Back