ATF Pouring out in REV (5R55E)

ragajungle

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
89 BroncoII & 05 Taurus
So I made the switch and am now an "Elite" member as of 20 seconds ago :):)

On another note, I went to pick up my "New" 99 Sport today - Ive been paying on it a while and just paid it all off today............I knew that it had no REV, I was ready to just do the VB updates, replace EPC, as soon as I got it home (about 65 miles).Before I left the sellers I filled trans fluid (about 2 QT low) and it cascaded out the back of the trans pan (Passenger Side Rear-ish).

So I went to CarQuest and got a new pan gasket and Filter, Installed, torqued to proper specs, 6 QT Merc V and off we go right?.................No.

My buddy followed behind in my sisters Explorer and chirped me on the Nextel "Yeah, Um leaking - no, make that spewing fluid....smoking etc.." We pulled off and I retorqued the bolts, and had Kev put it in gear while I was under looking. Yeah it looked like it was puking fluid from the same spot on the trans gasket again?!

I know this: The fluid SPRAYS when in REV, In DRIVE it is a steady slow stream. All Fluid is leaking from what looks like the trans pan gasket on the same side as the servos and trans dipstick tube. It is NOT the servos or Dip-tube or the lines (all clean and dry). The trans pan gasket mating surface is clean and the gasket is good quality (WIX) and bolts are troqued correctly.

COULD IT BE that the VB sep plate gasket is sufficiently blown enough to allow LINE PRESSURE into the pan/sump area causing subsiquent failure of pan gasket? OR am I missing another possible cause of the leak????

Please help (This is my work truck and it is currently stranded 65 Miles away) I have no idea what to do right now. No truck, no job...

Sorry so wordy, jus trying to be as thorough as possible.

So something just occurred to me....If the line pressure was escaping into the trans pan/sump wouldn't it over flow the dipstick? Is there a trans VENT on the pass side rear just above the pan?? maybe thats where the fluid is leaking?

Back