ATF type of fluid---Slow shifting when cold. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF type of fluid---Slow shifting when cold.

GroupExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT Eddie Bauer
99 XLT
I see other threads but not specific for me.

99 4.0 SOHC 4x4 XLT. 200k.

Right after I bought this SUV I had the motor swapped, so, I did not know if the trans was doing what I will describe below prior.

I've put 2900 miles on the used motor in the past 60 days.

We swapped out the fluid. Mainly I used Valvoline Synthetic MAxLife. BUT! (always a but I know), the pan gasket leaked. the filler tube gasket leaked. We went through quart after quart trying to stop the leak.

The pan gasket was put on, then it leaked--removed. One or two of the bolts were stripped prior to me owning this SUV. After we got those fixed, the dip-stick sleeve leaked. So there was a whole lotta fluid used, as I recall some of it was MaxLife some could of been just plaino Valvoline dino oil.

Cold start. Put the SUV in reverse, it begins to move then a noticeable bump as it engages. I wrote it off as 200k. In drive, when also cold, or within a few miles, you can feel a somewhat hesitation between 2-3.

Once warmed up, everything does as it should.

I removed 2 quarts via the suction pump that I use on my boat motors. I put in Lucas then some Marvel Mystery Oil. (THE latter on being on a whim of--what can it hurt at this point?)

Still hesitates slightly in the mornings.

Mobil1? Suck it all out as much as possible, then drain from the cooler line to the radiator and swap in Mobil 1 ATF?

Or, is it just doing what it is doing because of 200k of use.

Delays and shift flares can be a symptom of servo bore wear. However, I’d purge all the fluid and replace with the correct fluid.

Back