Atlas II in a 98-2000?

Jefe

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4x4
I called Advance Adaptors today, ready to shell out $2k for an Atlas II and the sales guy says it won't work?!? He said they changed something about the frame between 97 and 98? I'm not aware of any changes besides the torsion bar brackets. I was wondering if anyone else had looked into it. If not, I'll just order it and hope I'm right. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take some pictures of the crossmembers. There shouldn't be any difference between 97 and 98+. I'll have to see if I have any pictures of my Atlas II installed. Maybe you can compare them and see.
Are you going to go with the 4.2:1 or the 3.78:1.
I think that the 4.2:1 would work even with an automatic.

Here you go Ray:

Pic001.jpg

Pic002.jpg

Pic003.jpg

Pic004.jpg

Pic006.jpg

I'm thinking of the 3.8
I know you think the 4.2 will work, but you have 4.10's right? I want to go up to 4.88's and wouldn't want to take the chance.

Jefe
I have talked to Advanced adapters many times about the atlas II and they have always told me it will just bolt right up. you will need driveshaft modifications however. Seems we are getting diffwerent messages. Call them again and ask to speak to the engineer.

andrew

That looks just like my 97, just thought i'd let you know!

Happy trails!!

Actually I don't think the frame is the problem at all. I think it's the speedo cable that's gonna give you trouble because on 98+'s the speedo has gone digital instead of sending an analog signal.

Jefe, how are you going to go to 4.88's up front? You have something else in the works? (like a straight axle?!?) :eek:

I'm very aware of the speedo, and I'm gonna fab up a custom tranny crossmember, and I know the front drive shaft will need to be custom so . . . I'm gonna go for it. My theory is that the salesman I talked to didn't know what he was talking about (Duh!). :D

Bill,
If what people are saying is correct, the front takes a Dana 35 ring and pinion (non reverse cut) and I've found a few companies that make a 4.88 for it (for all the D35 rear Jeeps). However I've also heard that they are very weak in comparison to the 4.56's so I'm still debating it.

Thanks all

Jefe,
I don't see anything different from mine. The speedo adaptor you can get from Pheonix gear shop in Nevada. Their phone number is in the AtlasII manual. They will make one for you, just make sure that you tell them that it needs to be long enough for the end to be up above the level of the grear oil. mine leaks because it is too short and the end is below the gear oil level.
Make sure that you tell them exactly what kind of yoks you want on the input and output, because what you will get, or at least what I got was the output yoke for a BroncoII, which isn't what we have.
Good Luck

WELCOME TO THE ATLAS GROUP!!

Glad to hear that you got it. Let me tell you, that is the best mod I ever put money into.
Now there are 2 95+ models with an AtlasII.:D

I need to get to :hammer: on my 92, I've got the 35s and the D44 but I've been putting money into my 93. Damn I hate having two of these things. :D

Tim

Originally posted by Jason_25
Actually I don't think the frame is the problem at all. I think it's the speedo cable that's gonna give you trouble because on 98+'s the speedo has gone digital instead of sending an analog signal.
Actually the speedo cable won't be a problem at all . . .seing as my 2000 doesn't have one. It uses the 3 ABS sensors for the speedometer. No Joke. . I just checked it out tonight.

Originally posted by TDG
I need to get to :hammer: on my 92, I've got the 35s and the D44 but I've been putting money into my 93. Damn I hate having two of these things. :D
Tim, if its ever just a helping hand that you need. . .I'd be happy to get my hands greasy. . .:)
As for the money. . .can't help you there. Mines the biggest black hole of a money pit I can fund. .:rolleyes:

Jeff,

Thaks for the offer, I'll be taking you up on that when the time comes. Right now it's just a bunch of parts taking up space on my property while I get my 93 to where I want it. Since my 93 is my dater rig it's taking priority over my beat to **** 92. Right now I have the axle, the tires and the transmission for it. (It's presently a 2wd so I had to dig up another transmission that will interface to a transfer case) Since the transmission has some miles on it I will probably get it rebuilt before installation ($) I also need to get the gears, locker, brakes and shafts (new bolt pattern to match the D44) for the rear end) ($) I need wheels and a transfer case, since I'm doing all of the other crap the right way I figure I might as well go with the atlas from the start once again more $.

An update:
They will be starting work on my Atlas today or tommorrow and it will ship out by Friday or Monday. :bounce: :bounce:

However that means that I'll only have it a week before Moab. I've got the entire Memorial day to work on it, but I'm not sure whether I will be able to put it in and get driveshafts modified before Moab.

If you need some help let me know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way to go Jefe. Bad Ass.:cool: Like ray say's welcome to the AtlasII club.:D If you decide to use a mechanic or have any questions call Mike Duncan owner of 4XDoctor in Burbank, He installed mine and did some work on Pauls's. He's pretty reasonable priced. Phone 818-845-2194.
I still remember the first time I met you at TH. You were running stock and kept up with the group. I knew then you were bitten by the bug. ;)

Back