Atlas II T-case question, Paul, Rick, Tom Rios | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Atlas II T-case question, Paul, Rick, Tom Rios

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Since you three are the only people I know who have one, maybe you could answer this.
The Atlas II has a mechanical speedometer setup, but My old transfercase has an electrical setup. Did you put the speedometer stuff from your old t-case into the Atlas II? or do you guys have a mechanical speedometer setup?
Also Paul, what did you do with all the other electrical connectors for the shift motor, and how will this affect the computer. Am I gonna have the 4x4 lights flashing all the time? Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Here's a few pictures of the Atlas for those of you that haven't seen one yet, also you can see the differance between the old T-case and the new Atlas.
Anyone else contimplating this who has a newer model Explorer, you must realize that your "control Trak" will no longer work

This is a picture of the speedometer hookup on the old transfercase
View

The new Atlas II Transfercase.

View

Notice the front output connector on the left. It was supposed to be the same as the old T-case output. See pic below this one.
View

The old T-case notice the front output connector. It's alot different then what Atlas put on theirs.
View

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ray, it looks like where the electrical sensor goes into the t-case, there is a mechanical section inside. Try pulling the bolt off the electrical connection on the t-case and see. You might be able to attatch that to the Atlas II.

Kevin,
Thanks, we were going to try that on Monday, but I just wanted to see if anybody knew for fact that it will indeed fit.
Hey does your front drive shaft, at the transfercase look the same as it looks on my old transfercase?

The plug on top of the speedo gear is for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) it tells your automatic transmission when to shift and a bunch of other stuff. It doesn't affect the speedo at all.

And the front output must be Control Trac specific because my transfer case front output looks the same as the Atlas and the drive shaft has a double cardan joint (your's doesn't).

[Edited by Paul Gagnon on 09-08-2000 at 08:55 PM]

Paul,
So in essence it needs to be put on the Atlas inorder for my tranny to shift properly. Correct?

Yeah it does Ray. They are one piece.
Dead Link Removed

Ray, since I have a manual transmission I didn't have the electronic speed sensor, just the mechanical one.

As far as your 4x4 lights, just remove the fuse or the wiring from behind the switches. The Alas II won't be able to trigger the lights to tell you what range you are in. With the mechanical shifters you won't need that anyway.

Be glad that you got rid of that funky joint on the front of your old t-case. The u-joint will last a lot longer under extreme service.

Yea, it is sort of corny looking isn't it. Dead Link Removed

*DROOL*

i want one soooo bad.....do they make an atlas II for the early model auto tranny? what is the tranny, anyway? is it the al4d?

Wait a Minute Isn't the Elce Connector on the mechanical gear For the Cruise control? Rick, From Pictures I have Seen of Your Explorer you did not have Factory installed Cruise. With My Manual Trans I still have that Elec Connection.

BTW I still cant figure out how to get my dash lights to work with my T-case.

Hey ray, Is there an adapter plate on the front of the Atlas II to switch it from the standard six bolt round an most T-cases to the five bolt?

Hi Kevin,
No, you don't need an adaptor plate it will bolt right up.
Also I don't have a problem with mating my electronic speedo cable to the Atlas "Jeep" mechanical speedo gear. There is a speedometer shop in Nevada call, What else, "Nevada speedometer" that makes adaptors for this, so everything is ok and I should have the adaptor by Friday at the latest.
If you are interest in getting an AtlasII transfercase
You need to know what the output spline count of the tranmission is. 25 splines
The book that comes with th T-case says that I would need a 35 tooth speedo gear to run 4.56 and 35" tires but the Judy at Nevada speedometer figured out that I really needed a 34 tooth speedo gear, because I would be 3% low with a 35 tooth "driven gear". Also the out "drive gear" is a 13 tooth helical gear. If you have an electrical speedometer, she will ask you that question.

Kris,
That is for the speedometer/odometer.

[Edited by Ray Lobato on 09-12-2000 at 04:55 PM]

Hey Kevin,
Actually yes there is an adaptor plate, infact there are many differant plates, since the AtlasII will work an about 6 different vehicles, that is why you have to let them know it is for a Explorer so they can put the correct plate on to match your tranny.

Hi Ray, I just got back from a work trip. Glad you got the answers to all your questions squared away. Believe me this will be the best money you've ever spent.
Tom

Hi Tom,
Glad you guys made it back ok. Hopefully by the next time you do The Rubicon I'll have the truck ready and get in some serious practice for your next trip. Do you think that the place that made your rocker protectors can make some for me? How much? It looks like your rear bumper saved you again,eh? Damn, sure wish I had one of those. ;-)
Hope to see you again at Truckhaven. :)

Hola Ray, the name of the comp. who made the nerf bars is Canyon City in Pomona, tel. 903-392-1100 contact names are Ed, & Chippie. The price was around $300.00. They are great. And who knows you still might have a shot at the bumper. I might design a new one. Hope this helps. Keep in touch if you need anything. Maybe you can come down some weekend and I can take you to the John Bull trail in Big Bear. It's great practice for Rubicon. Are you getting 35s. The Pro-comps I bought worked great.
Tom

Hi Tom,
Yes, I am going to run 35's, but I will need to do some trimming. We put the tires on today and Damn, they are huge!
I stayed with the BFG KO's in a 35x12.5 R15 and put them on 15x8" wheels.
The problem as it stands is we are hoping that the Bushwacker extend-a-fenders will flex enough to allow us to cut and roll the rear portion of the fender behind the tire back about 2" and gradually decrease that size until we hit somewhere close to the top of the curve on the fender. We are hoping that this won't cause the extend-a-fender to buckle and not lay flat against the fender.
I also got the new front drive shaft but we had to change the yoke on the transfercase to make it work. They didn't send a CV style yoke like they were supposed to. I also got some bigger U-joints too. It's all coming together but not as fast as I had hoped. Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call here soon.

Ray, so is this just a holo sensor that bolts up to the atlas, putting the mechanicals inside the atlas and then having a spot to bolt your holo sensor too???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to Nevada speedo, Ford uses 8000 revolutions per mile. What the adaptor does is convert the j@@p speedometer gear that is in the AtlasII to something that will give you the 8000 revolutions per mile on the Ford Magnetic pickup that we have in our vehicles. It is an adaptor that is about 4" long with a magnetic pickup on it. You take the speedo cable and the electrical connection that is attached to is and plug it into the adaptor, then you take the other end of the adaptor and plug that into the AtlasII. The J@@p speedo gear is already inside the AtlasII.

Back