ATLAS II Transfer Case Project - Rick Horwitz | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATLAS II Transfer Case Project - Rick Horwitz

Post number 9 has been selected as best answered.

UPS just dropped off my Atlas II 4.3:1 transfer case, all 110 lbs of it!!

It looks like my shop should be able to install it next week. I'll be taking photos and writing a report as they go. This is one HEFTY T-case!

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick -
Great Job! Dana 44, Atlas II - - What's next, a V-8 or 35s ??

Plan on selling the BW 13-54 ??

Paul

First Atlas II, then the Dana 44 and then 35's!!

The Dana 44 is nearly complete. I still need an ARB, backing plates and calipers.

Excellent! Is the 44 a solid or TTB? Where is the Atlas shifters going to come through the floor? WARN has a Full-Floater for the rear with 5x51/2 to match the front pattern. Man your so lucky!

Rick, I did not know you were going with the Atlas II. You will be up and running before I get mine in.
I asked you before but I seem to have forgotten, are you using radius arm and coils to mount the Dana 44 ? I am using the basic set up from an early bronco, but with long radius arms.
Well good luck and enjoy the new low gears.
When does the NV4500 show up ?!?!?!?

Keep it on all four.
Sandy

------------------
Sandy Balzarini
n1mau@gis.net
'92 Navajo Project

Solid Dana 44. The shifters come through to the left of the 5 speed shifter handle.

The Dana 44 will be coil spring with a multi-link setup.

Rick:

That is awesome! Last I heard they were still working on their Explorer/Ranger design. I have some questions...

1) How beneficial is it to be able to go into 2- (rear) wheel drive low or front-wheel drive low? I just always figured if I wanted low-range, I wanted it in 4WD.

2) How did you set your priorities for build-up? I see 2 major phases for myself (assuming I jump on the 93 Sport with 92K mi I found for $7995): lift/tires/gears/lockers and engine/tranny/t-case. After that it would be bumpers, rocker protection, roll bar, possible solid axle swap, etc...i.e., "goodies."

3) I noticed references to "FST" in your truck's bio (rear bumper, nerf bars). Who are they and what else do they make?

4) Would it be worth the time and effort to swap from a "push button" BW 13-54 t-case to a manual for a short-term escape from solenoid hell (until, of course, I can afford the Atlas II!)? That 93 has automatic 4WD.

5) It seems you are a proponent of first-gen Explorers...is it just because that's what you had, or have you conciously chosen your 93 over the latest generation? It just sounds like some cool changes might be coming in the next couple of years (manual tranny, convertible, etc.).

Thanks, and I look forward to your t-case swap tutorial!

Bill
78 Bronco
90 Bronco II

Sorry it took so long to answer your questions somehow I missed it earlier.

1. I honestly don't know how beneficial having 2wd low will be. We'll have to see.

2. Your priorites appear in order. Lift. Tires and Gears go together and lockers if you can afford them at the same time. It's best to do the lockers at the same time you do the gears to avoid the cost of setting up the gears twice.

3. FST is a fabrication shop in Phoenix. They make anything you can imagine. It's all custom.

4. I bought my Explorer ne win '93 so I didn't have a choice as far as styles. I do prefer the '91-'94 simply because there is a lot of options availble for lifting the truck. There are more options available for front differentials as well.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

Well, FST was booked today so I attempted to install the Atlas II myself. Here is the run down.

I pulled the transmission crossmember and dropped the T-Case.

I setup the shifters on the Atlas II out of the chassis as the manual suggests. This is to get the basic adjustment down and to get a feel for the way the assembly fits together.

I used my 2-1/2 ton hydraulic jack to raise the Atlas II close to its mounting point. Care needed to be taken to feed the shift rail up and over the transmission adapter. I needed to leave about 1/2 -3/4 inch clearance between the top of the case and the floor. This left the female coupling slightly lower than the splines in the transmission. From this position I had to wrestle the case onto the splines. It fit together pretty easily. Once I had the cases pushed together I lowered the jack some more to enable the case to rotate enough so the bolt holes would align.

Here is where the fun started...I have the second Atlas II ever to be sold for an Explorer. Paul Bredehoft has the first. The T-Case was shipped with the wrong studs they shipped SAE threads instead of the Metric which is what was needed. The original bolts from the 13-54 are slightly too long to thread fully into the new T-Case. So tomorrow I need to get some new bolts or studs.

Next problem... The Explorer uses a Double Cardan Joint on it's front driveshaft. The Atlas II didn't come equipped with the proper yoke for the application. The rear yoke has the Double Carden and the Explorer doesn't need Double Cardan in the rear. Go figure...

Anyway, I knew that I was going to be a guinea pig and Advanced Adapters expects me to inform them of these type of problems. By the time someone else buys one I would hope that the problems will be resolved.

While the T-Case was still in place I used my friends Sawzall to notch the driveshaft tunnel for shifter clearence. The shifter handles which they included look like they may be bent a bit too far towards my right leg. I'll have to see how it turns out when it's finished.

Anyway that's it for now. I need to get my yokes straightened out and some new studs or bolts.

BTW, my transmission crossmember was custom built by FST after my trouble at the Truckhaven pre-run. The crossmember lowered the transmission quite a bit. This worked out great with the new T-Case. I bolted everything up and there seems to be plenty of clearance all around the T-Case, even though it's much larger than the stock unit.

Stay tuned...

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

Rick - Last time I talked to AA they didn't have a two stick shifter set designed for the explorer (I can't imagine a shifter difference anyhow). I don't know if they do now, or they sent you a generic set or what. Ideally they would ship them to you straight stick so you could bend them yourself. Hope you like you new transfer case, it should take a lot of strain off of your transmission while you're out on the trail in low range.

-Ben

Weatherman, yes AA did send 2 straight sticks which my mechanic then bend to form the angle which would work the best. They are very close to together though.

Paul

They sent a set of pre-bent rods with mine. They would work fine with an automatic, but the control lever for the rear is bent to far to clear my 5 speed shifter handle.

The T-case is in! I drove it about 20 miles today. Nothing off-road yet. I tried rear wheel drive low range. MAN, it's just incredible. I just had to hop out of the truck while it crawled along. It crawls that slowly.

I'll give a full report regarding the rest of the installation tomorrow. Gettin' late...

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

I solved the problems with the driveshafts in a very straight forward and relatively inexpensive manner. The rear driveshaft on my Explorer had already been lengthened to accomodate the extreme wheel travel and spring over lift. All I needed was to replace the front flange with a 1310 yoke and have the front of the driveshaft cut off and replaced with the proper splines. I then used a strap kit to attach it to the CV U-joint. My driveshaft shop (Dick's Driveshaft in Phoenix) told me that this was perfectly acceptable.

The front driveshaft came with a CV joint from the factory. I replaced it with a non-CV driveshaft. Once again the shop said this would work well, actually better than stock becuase the single joint can provide more movement than the double joint setup.

Both driveshafts are now equipped with Brute Force U-joints. These U-joints do not have grease fittings which help to make them stronger. The hollow passages in greasable U-joints tend to weaken them.

Both of the shifter handles for the Atlas II now fit perfectly. There is no interference with the 5 speed shifter. All I needed to do was to bend the rear axle shifter to the left a little using a pipe for leverage.

I need to make an appointment at my local speedometer shop so they can recalibrate the speedometer for me. Right now I'm using the speedometer on my GPS unit!

Before I buttoned up the installation I went off-road with the Atlas II. All I can say is WOW. Well actually I can say more Dead Link Removed There's this hill close to my house which has lots of whoop dee doos all the way up. It stretches the suspension pretty well as one tire goes into a hole and the other gets picked up by a berm. Anyway I dropped it into low range at the bottom of the hill and placed the transmission in first gear. I let out the clutch and let the truck IDLE all the way to the top! The RPM's barely rose to over 500 yet the progress of the Explorer never slowed.

This deep of a low range isn't for everyone. You give up speed on the trail(at least in low range) for extreme torque and throttle control. The manual transmission is much easier to control on obstacles with the deep low range. Decending the back side of the hill was awesome as well the back side is very steep yet fairly smooth. Once again I went into low range and let it crawl down. The engine braking was outstanding.

On the highway, I immediately noticed the lack of backlash that was present with the stock chain drive case.

I was doing all of this driving and testing while my interior was still stripped. I had removed both front seats and peeled my carpeting to the back seat to allow easy access to the transmission tunnel. Obviously I put the drivers seat back in place for the test run.

All I have left to do is to fabricate a small cover for the side of the transmission housing where I had to cut a notch for shifter clearance. I also need to notch the carpeting and install the Atlas II shifter boot which was included with the transfer case.

Photos will be coming soon.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

Rick, sounds like you got everything in ordered, will see how it really works in a couple of weeks. I wanted to add one thing to thoughs who might be interested in ordering a Atlas II also, and that is if you have a 5-speed stick then the 4.3 is what you should order. If you have an Automatic, then the 3.8 is what you should order. If anyone is wondering why, Advanced Adapter does not recommend the 4.3 for the Automatic because it has to much torque that when engaged in low range the brakes will not be able to stop the vehicle. Just thought I pass that on.

Paul
----------
91 XLT 4-door/ 3.8 Atlas II

Here are a few photos:

atlas_rr.jpg

This rear view shows the optional fluid level kit.
atlas_fr.jpg

The custom crossmember made the installation very easy. This crossmember lowers the transmission and transfer case providing ample clearance around the case without need for modification of the floor or the need for a body lift.
atlas_int.jpg

The interior installation looks very clean.

I will be doing a full write up and product review shortly.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 03-09-2000).]

Rick, Looks sweet! The drool is being wiped up as I write this. Dead Link Removed That Cross member is it big enough? Or are you going to have som sort of a skid plate added? Also is FST selling those? If so I want one! Dead Link Removed Or at least a price on one. That looks nice and beefy! Ohh man... Dead Link Removed

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport Modified

WOW!!! Look at that clean garage floor! And the tools are actually in the toolboxes! Dead Link Removed

Thats a great install on the transfer case. Interior looks great.

Out of curiosity, what is the blue switch for? Looks like some sort of antenna switch.

Hope you enjoy the new transfer case!

Ryan, the transfer case sits about 2" lower than the stock unit so I need to build a new skid plate. I'll ask Torrey if how much he would charge for another crossmember like mine. Do you have an auto or manual? i can't remember.

Weatherman, it is an antenna switch I switch between 2 different HF antennas.

My wife made me promise to clean up the garage so she could park in it again... It's been full of pieces of my truck all week Dead Link Removed

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com

I got the 5 speed. 2 inches lower would accually help me out. It would make the driveline angles better I think. Allthough I am not sure what that would do for my clearence under there.

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport Modified

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lessee here....

You put in a new mod and test it by leaving the vehicle while you're driving it.

That way, if your Explorer gets in an accident, you can't get a ticket for it since you really wasn't driving it then, right? Dead Link Removed

Remind me not to park next to you in Moab! Dead Link Removed

Gerald

Back