attempting to clean my MAF | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

attempting to clean my MAF

gooal22

Reaction score
City, State
Morton, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
i went to the store and purchased a T-20 torx screwdriver. when i went to remove the MAF, the torx screws have a small little "thing" in the middle which didn't allow me to take it off.

my question is, did i purchase the wrong torx screwdriver?

sorry for the generic terms.

PaT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heheheh. I know what your talking about. I did the same thing. You can buy one from Ford or just drill a hole in the driver.

you can buy the correct ones from an auto place they are security torx bits. I got mine from O'riley They can still be uesd as a standard torx too.

Napa also carries them, that's where I got mine. Just asked for tamper-proof torx bits and found them right away, and only for about $2

You can also just get a screwdriver and snap the little thingy off and use the standard torx tip.

On my new X, they plugged the holes of the screws, so I used needle nose pliers. Cheap solution too if you don't want to buy the bits.

thanks for the help, ill let ya know how it turns out tomorrow. thanks again.

so......it didn't work:mad:

i did everything exactly how it was supposed to be done. is there a possibility that i have a bad MAF or could there be something else. i have a 91 eddie b. with 115,000.

thanks.

It didn't work????

Not sure what your problem is? Truck wont run? Have CEL on? What exactly is the problem??

You never said what problems your truck was having in the first place. If it has rough idle and stumbling acceleration, it could be a dirty MAF, but it could also be
a vacuum leak, worn out spark plugs, bad gas, worn plug wires, dirty injectors, bad PCM, among other things.

or bad iac. strange thing is my 91 has phillips screws holding the MAF. Thats how it was when I got it.

Lacks power/hesitation when i am driving at higher speeds(normally over 50) or at wide open throttle.

it also has a ping/knock when at wide open throttle.

the truck has a slight rough idle. it never soudns like it is goin to die, but it does sound like it skips a beat here and there.

Sounds like the notorious lower intake manifold vacuum leak. I would try re-torquing the bolts. You might end up having to replace the gasket. Do a search, there's tons of threads on how to do it.

well i did a search, and looked around and found some info on the lower intake manifold, but i couldn't find anything on how to fix it.

Try re-torquing the lower intake bolts, there's a sequence to it and the easiest way to get the sequence is to purchase a manual (Haynes, Chilton etc) if you don't already have one. Some members here have reached them all with a swivel socket and didn't have to remove the upper intake while others have had to remove it. Just remember to reset the computer after re-torquing.

I'd recommend you re-torque the lower intake manifold bolts as well...it's easy and worth it before you go out and spend $$$ on O2 sensors, new wires and plugs, or other things.

On my truck I HAVE to remove the upper intake manifold to reach the lower intake manifold bolts. I have lots of swivels too.

I think since your 91 has no EGR, it will be easier to get down there. If not, it's pretty easy to remove the upper intake; there's just a few hoses and such to undo.

Back