Attempting to conquer the 4.0(build thread) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Attempting to conquer the 4.0(build thread)

GAexplodr223

Reaction score
City, State
norcross, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
hey everybody,

I've been lurking on here forever now. I started this journey last October when i bought my 92 ex. I was told that it had a brand new engine in it with only 5k on it but after i purchased i began to become skeptical. I decided that i would do my own rebuild both because i think i need it and because i really want to learn the workings of an engine. ive read through entirely both xeeks build and brandons and gained alot of information from it, and it really inspired me to journal my own build and i thought this would be a great place to put it. My ex is my daily driver so I didnt want to pull the engine and work on it like that. i decided to purchase a solid short block around the same time i bought some complete used cylinder heads. i disassembled both and now they're sitting at my machine shop. they're both getting tanked and shotblasted. the heads are getting a valve job and the block is going to be bored .20 over. i spent a lot of time thinking about whether i wanted to go with a bigger cam i'm still up in the air but am leaning towards no. i do however welcome opinions. i plan to use this as my log and journal and will be uploading pictures of the build process.

i have also purchased some pacesetter headers and realised im going to need to get 2 02 sensor ports welded up.

from those who have done a build up are there any issues or problems specific to the ohv or truck that i should look out for or can avoid.

thanks so much guys for this fourm and all the information you put out there for people like me to learn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Site And Also glad To See Your in Ga As Well !!! , As for The Cam idea , Why Not A Cam if Your Going .20 Over Pistons ?

If you're building the engine might as well do cams. Porting and maybe a stroker if you really feel like making some power (assuming we can stroke the 4.0?)
BTW, another georgia member :D I'm kinda all over NW Ga all week, school in Marietta, work in Rome, and live near Cartersville.

thanks for reading mine. all sounds good, i just suggest new 90/93tm heads, cause if the ones that came off are original i wouldnt keep them. go with si valves also.
cam is up to you, stock or 410 cam. 410 cam isnt much more then stock, sounds about the same.

jd will chime in later. im half asleep eating breatfast at work right now so i cant think of much else lol

build up

so i stopped by the machine shop today and he will be boring the block tomorrow. Xeek why si valves? also when you covered up your o2 sensors are there any port plugs or bungs that dont have to be welded?

so i stopped by the machine shop today and he will be boring the block tomorrow. Xeek why si valves? also when you covered up your o2 sensors are there any port plugs or bungs that dont have to be welded?

Oil drain plugs fit,do a search on here and im sure your find the size and part numbers that ive posted.just for the record tho headers wont give you any performance especially with a stock motor.you would be crazy to build a motor and not do a cam.change that oil pump out also.si valves are stainless and one piece, they also flow better than stock and on these motor the valves are the most restrictive part .if you bought used heads i would have them pressure tested and magnaflux for sure,stock heads SUCK and crack VERY easily

alright guys so i have some updates. I have decided to go with a new STOCK cam ha despite so many of you telling me to go otherwise. i figured if when i get it in i dont like it ill have another engine to build up differently the next time. almost all of my parts have come in i did go with stainless valves. it might be up to another two weeks until i get the block and heads back. i am getting them magnafluxed to make sure these heads are going to work.

i have a few unrelated questions

when i hop on the throttle my oil pressure gauge drops with it and goes back to normal when my transmission up shifts.

how can i tell by looking if i have a body lift or not

see the body lift puck in my pic ?
DSCF5334.jpg

Its under the headlight and round

not sure what your situation is with that. maybe its the sensor.
but that reminds me, if your gonna pull the whole engine, DEF get a new oil pump. it flows better then the stock one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MEL-M328/

and get new motor mounts, i had to trim one of them cause the pin didnt line up right, still works fine tho.
2643 ANCHOR - drivers motor mount (rockauto)
2641 ANCHOR - passenger motor mount (rockauto)

why should i get new motor mounts. and i acctually did buy the melling hi flow pump i got that from your build

true that. what im really curious about is im lifted sitting on 33's im wondering whats the best way to get the engine out? my plan so far is to remove the rad and grille and try to get it out through there. when you pulled the engine what did you mount up to?

we hung it on the exhaust manifolds with tie down straps. radiator, fan, ac, power steering, cruise control were all out when i pulled it. and the engine was stripped down to the heads.
some of those things may not be necessary, just how i did it

true that. what im really curious about is im lifted sitting on 33's im wondering whats the best way to get the engine out? my plan so far is to remove the rad and grille and try to get it out through there. when you pulled the engine what did you mount up to?

Some times if a truck I'm working on it too tall for my picker, I take the wheels right off and lower it to the ground on the brakes, or small blocks... Heater cores make awsome blocks for this, they are suprisingly strong

It will not come through the front of the truck.it has to be lifted straight up then out.a reg engine lift will lift it plenty even with your lift and 33s

ha yeah i have no idea why i thought i could pull it through the front i realized there is a frame there ha. im going to try and get my camera set up to run off this lap top and will be able to put up pictures for you guys.

on a side note every since i bought this truck when i start the tach runs up to 3k and stays there. i know that its running way south of that. i figure i need a new cluster. but will that change anything or does it have something to do with circuitry? also as far as fluids and such. i plan on getting assembly lube, some cam break in additive,oil, and some sort of rtv. is there anything else ill need?

ha yeah i have no idea why i thought i could pull it through the front i realized there is a frame there ha. im going to try and get my camera set up to run off this lap top and will be able to put up pictures for you guys.

on a side note every since i bought this truck when i start the tach runs up to 3k and stays there. i know that its running way south of that. i figure i need a new cluster. but will that change anything or does it have something to do with circuitry? also as far as fluids and such. i plan on getting assembly lube, some cam break in additive,oil, and some sort of rtv. is there anything else ill need?

3k tach fix
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275462

also would anyone mind posting a picture of their interior specifically their headliner. i dont have one and im slowly gathering interior lights and such. not sure if i want to go with an after market bow style headliner or go to pullapart and get the cardboard mold

thanks jd for the link

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alright guys i have a few more questions. my parts are still at the machine shop i believe hes finishing the valve job and attaching the new pistons. i plan on having it fully built before putting it in. about how long would you estimate it would take for me to remove and replace with the new engine, i have to plan out my vacation time. also i plan on using my haynes to help me through the process is there anything the manual is missing that i should be on the look out for. ha i wish i lived up closer to jd

Back