ATTN: Owners With Gen II Explorers - Look at your Gas Pedal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: Owners With Gen II Explorers - Look at your Gas Pedal

1998Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Monument, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Adrenalin S/C
I was driving home a couple of weeks ago in the 98 Exploder and noticed the power wasn't up to snuff. Sure enough as I was driving home the entire gas pedal assembly snapped off the firewall:

broken_gas_pedal.JPG

The fix was somewhat easy. I just drilled out the spot welds and placed 3 locking nut/bolt combinations in there and off I went. Make sure to check this for fatigue or otherwise you could be losing HP and might be stranded on the side of the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

interesting. Thank you for sharing

-Drew

Been there, done that! :D At least mine happend a block from my house. It's hard to use the gas with your hand :p

12287holes.jpg

Stic-o said:
Been there, done that! :D At least mine happend a block from my house. It's hard to use the gas with your hand :p

12287holes.jpg

HAHAHA. They call me Mario Handretti as I sprinted home with a gas pedal in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. :confused:

Mine came off about a year ago.I did the same fix.

I never knew it was such an epidemic. What was the repair and which bolds/nuts did you use?

At least its not the brake pedal

I had that happen to my 93 Ranger. Fixed it with a trip to Home Depot for some lock tite, screws, nuts and a few washers. I didn't even have to drill any holes. The weld broke off all the way through the fire wall leaving a nice hole....

Jeff

happened to my 95. As much as I pound on my 00 I am surprised its still there

This has been happening a lot lately. Making me nervous!

Maybe that is why my is kinda loose.....

On a side note....who thinks that gas pedel is too small?

Hartman said:
This has been happening a lot lately. Making me nervous!

The good news is that it won't leave you stranded. Although you're gonna crack up when you have to yank on the gas pedal to get home. :D

thebeast86 said:
Maybe that is why my is kinda loose.....

It is tiny. Maybe Ford though of it as a gas saving measure.

thebeast86 said:

I thought it was small too, until I drove a Land Rover Discovery. The gas pedal on that thing is like an inch wide and very close to the brake pedal.

yup that happened to me 2 days after getting my EX.
I drilled holes and bolted the pedal back on........super cheesy.

and yes the pedal is way too small.

I just had the same issue, happened on the freeway. I tied a shoelace on the cable and used my right hand to control the throttle. Built Ford Tough Hmmmm.

SD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely worth a preventative check, this must have saved Ford $.50 at assembly time. If this breaks under the wrong circumstances, it can lead to a bad accident even a fatality. I have problems with the fact that this is fixed under warranty but not a safety recall. My guess would be that no one has died yet.

SD

NC_Xplorer said:
Thanks for the info, I need to check mine tonight.

Back