ATTN: SOHC OWNERS HEADERS ARE HERE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATTN: SOHC OWNERS HEADERS ARE HERE!

gage

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hopkins Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exp. Sport, 91 5.0LX
Please see below!

Hello Charles,
We have good news for you. There are finally headers for the V6 4.0 SOHC and I have them in stock. They are made by JBA and they come in chrome or high temp ceramic coated. We also have the mass air sensor and the Mac cold air intake. We have the mass air custom calibrated to match the other parts. We finish it off with a custom burned chip from Apten (unless you already have a computer chip). The combination of these parts will make a noticeable difference. There is no throttle body available right now and there is a slight chance that someone will produce it in the future. The only other option is the Eaton supercharger kit that we are preparing to release.

JBA Headers Chrome ..............#1674-1 $349.95
JBA Headers Ceramic Coated....#1674-1JS $489.95

I do need to verify the year of your vehicle to be sure we have a match. I will also need to know what side your EGR tube is on.

Pro-M Mass Air Sensor-Custom Calibrated $259.95

Mac Intake System $134.95

Let me know if you have any questions,
John Vanek,
Explorer Express

Please tell them where you had seen this!

Maybe we can get a group buy on some of this stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DesertSpive

Please let us know how the install goes?. Do you know if there is also a a cat replacemant? Does your ranger have four cats?

John, what performance gains will one see with the headers? With stock and modded motors?

Thanks.....

would the apten chip...

need to be recalibrated for the headers ?

also how long should it take to install the headers.

Re: DesertSpive

Originally posted by gage
Please let us know how the install goes?. Do you know if there is also a a cat replacemant? Does your ranger have four cats?

I will be taking pictures of the install to help. These are just headers, no Y-pipe, and yes I have 4 cats. JBA doesn't make a Y-pipe for the SOHC truck, most likely becaus eof this issue.

--Sean

Headers

aldive

John works at Explorer Express, He is not on this post. I just posted his email to me about the items. SOrry to confuse every body.

Just an FYI Anybody think we should get a group buy on this stuff. I will check with my buddy and see what he can get them for.

According to JBA it should take about 6 hours for install.

John reads these boards and thats why I asked him.

RPS just had a group buy on them. I also got confirmation from my editor to do an install article on them. Cool.....

--Sean

Hey guys, great news. It looks like I am definately going to be doing an install article and shop review on JBA for an upcomming issue. They want to do it on SOHC headers and their new cat-back system, AND they want to use my truck. I am stoked! Anyway, I am going to try and get out of the group buy, but if I can't I will have an extra set of headers. So I am sure someone here or on ORR would be interested in them.

--Sean

Header Details.

We have not installed or tested these headers yet, so we do not have any performance numbers or installation experience yet. The folks at JBA suggest a 10-15 HP gain. More mods you have more gain can be expected. Yes Matt, even more gains with a supercharged engine. JBA suggests up to 40 HP gain! It does makes sense that the gains would be amplified on an engine with forced induction. More air and more flow means more go! We will have those figures after we get them installed on the supercharged Ranger. We will wait to install the headers untill after we get the tuning fully sorted. We have found that headers on a supercharged engine may invite a slight low end bog, but deliver greatly in the mid and high rpm levels. We will soon find out.

It seems that custom burning the chip for the headers would be a good idea. I will have to talk to Brian at Apten on that one.

The situation is the 1998-1999 applications. These new JBA headers are cataloged to fit 2000->. Alex at JBA said that they will bolt up to all V6 SOHC engines, but the headpipe will require reworking. The EGR tube may also require bending or updating to the late model set up. Be warned, it is not a straight bolt on for 98-99. Black Magic has it made!

Since the cat converters are built into the head pipe, it could prove to be an expensive proposition with only slight gains. But slight gains compiled with many other mods still equals a greater net in horsepower. Random Technologies are the guys for trick y-pipe/cats. The Sport Trac guys who have tried it note improvements. Maybe an upgrade to a 2000 style y-pipe with high flow cats would be the hot tip. This still needs to be researched.

If you have a performance MAF sensor (like the Pro-M that we carry) it would also be a good idea to have it custom calibrated for the headers.

I would indeed entertain a group buy on any of these products. Let me know if you have any questions.

John V @ EE

Re: Header Details.

Originally posted by JOHN V.
It seems that custom burning the chip for the headers would be a good idea. I will have to talk to Brian at Apten on that one

He is a great guy and really knows his stuff! I would love to have him custize my chip for the whole set up I want.

John -

Is there a header available for my 97 sohc ?

The JBA headers will bolt up to your heads, but the head pipe will need to be fabricated. Random Technogies make a custom y-pipe for the Sport Trac that eliminates the cats. Either way you go it would have to be custom.

I guess Black Magic is gonna have everyones dream SOHC motor. ;)

I lost a some power after I hydrolocked my engine. So I'm interested!

John ,

thanks for the info. I wouldn't want to eliminate my cats , wouldn't that slow it down ? plus i need to pass inspection here in Jersey. So i would need to make a new y pipe. . . ? I had my exhaust fabricated , how much do you think it would cost for the shop to do something like that ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can i get all this stuff from Explorer Express like the JBA Headers because the prices you have on the first post are low compared to the JBA web site. There luje 700 bucks for the Ceramic Coated. Since it doesn't come with a Y pipe couldn't i just hook up a true dual system with 2 cats to 2 flowmaster mufflers out. Man the SOHC has arrived oh and how can i pre pay for like the supercharger. Thanks guys.

Back